wildcat a and d

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kmac

Reaction score
In one's expert opinion, what would be the best way to ascend Wildcat A and D? I am planning on hiking this area within the next couple of weeks. thanks.

The AT is one option but it is rugged AND there is the initial "stream"/"river" crossing to worry about. Also the icy conditions might make it more dangerous depending on your experience and comfort in these conditions. You could go up 19-mile brook and up and over the ridge, as a there and back OR descend via the ski trails for a loop trip that would add a short roadwalk AND you can reverse said loop by going UP the ski trails and down 19-mile brook. There is ONE tricky section doing the hike this way so be VERY careful. A nice thing about the ski trails, particularly descending them as I found out last winter is there are VIEWS all the way down. BEAUTIFUL.

sli74

I'll comment on the only way I've done them in winter conditions. We hiked up 19 Mile brook trail and stayed overnight at the Carter Hut then early the next morning we left sleeping gear and most of the food at the hut and went up on the Wildcat Ridge trail to A then across to D and returned the same way, packed up and headed down 19 Mile. We barebooted but I wouldn't do that again, one very steep section, the rest was not bad.

If you do this in January like we did bring a very warm sleeping bag, the bunkhouses aren't heated!

carter hut: )

Jim lombard said:
I'll comment on the only way I've done them in winter conditions. We hiked up 19 Mile brook trail and stayed overnight at the Carter Hut then early the next morning we left sleeping gear and most of the food at the hut and went up on the Wildcat Ridge trail to A then across to D and returned the same way, packed up and headed down 19 Mile. We barebooted but I wouldn't do that again, one very steep section, the rest was not bad.

If you do this in January like we did bring a very warm sleeping bag, the bunkhouses aren't heated!

I think this sounds like a great plan! I love the Carter hut and yes I will plan on bringing a very warm sleeping bag.
Thanks so much : )
karen

more expert advice

More expert advice please!! Do you think it possible to hike this in one day and get down in a reasonable time? We would be taking the nineteen mile brook up and back.
thanks. karen

That really depends on snow and ice conditions, your general hiking pace and IF you find the marked trail or have to take the "hobbit trail" and bushwhack like Sean and I did two winters ago, uck :D

I don't find the 19-Mile Brook trail very difficult but my slow pace would require me to start before the sun comes up and hike well past sunset.

sli74

The morning we went up WRT from the hut the trail up to Peak-A was unbroken and for a long time we were in knee deep snow. I'm not sure if this is the norm or not.

You'd do better to go 19 mile to WRT and then down the Polecat trail once you hit D, this is the ski trail right near the summit platform. It would eliminate all the ups and downs going back to A and you could spot a car at the Ski slope parking lot.

I know a couple groups last year went up and back via the Polecat as Sapblatt mentioned earlier.

One peak minimum

For a one day trip, if you go up Polecat to D summit, no chance you'll have to break trail. That would assure you at least one peak and great views. Then over to A and - your choice- back the way you came, or down to the hut and out 19 MB. Doable in a day, for most, most of the time. But of course YMMV... and the chance of deep snow this weekend is low, and I'd rather go up A than down it if it's icy, since between A and the hut will be your steepest place. Might want to drive up and decide in the morning.
Weatherman

I did Wildcat A and D several years ago, solo, using the Wildcat Ridge trail from the Glen Ellis falls parking area which is also the AT trail. I remember that there were several parts that I would consider dangerous in the winter with any ice or snow. I didn't/don't consider the stream crossing to be the worst part of this approach. There are several areas on the cliffs that I think could be downright dangerous without the right equipment. Even with the correct equipment, it would give me pause. Hopefully someone else might give their impressions of the areas I am referring to. It would be nice to see if someone else remembers those spots in the same light that I do.

I don't know if these spots are what sli74 is referring to, but I know that is what pops into my head when I think of that approach. Especially in winter.

Keith

I remember some of the section of the Wildcat Ridge Trail giving me pause in the summer time never mind the winter. I am not a big fan of heights or falling from them.

SAR-EMT40 said:
There are several areas on the cliffs that I think could be downright dangerous without the right equipment. Even with the correct equipment, it would give me pause. Hopefully someone else might give their impressions of the areas I am referring to. It would be nice to see if someone else remembers those spots in the same light that I do.

I don't know if these spots are what sli74 is referring to, but I know that is what pops into my head when I think of that approach. Especially in winter.

Keith

Yes I'd imagine this section goin up from Pinkham could get hairy with icey conditions. And also they're saying snow for tomorrow, 7+ inches tops, hopefully more. :) Then there is this little chimney type section I'd imagine could be interesting as well. This is all said only having done this route in summer. There was also a steep section dropping down into Wildcat col from D, or was it C? Cant remember, GOOD LUCK!!

Yes I'd imagine this section goin up from Pinkham could get hairy with icey conditions. And also they're saying snow for tomorrow, 7+ inches tops, hopefully more. Then there is this little chimney type section I'd imagine could be interesting as well. This is all said only having done this route in summer. There was also a steep section dropping down into Wildcat col from D, or was it C? Cant remember, GOOD LUCK!!

Very impressive pics i imagine it takes purposeful footing when climbing this area, something i intend to do. thanks. we will be extra extra careful : )
kmac

The easiest, surest, and least aesthetic to Wildcats is to go up & down the ski trails, on the way back you can do a short bushwhack from the C/D col to eliminate the short steep climb back up D.

19MB has a tricky spot on sidehill near the brook. Going up A there is a slide crossing which is avalanche prone, I'm surprised this hasn't been rerouted

SAR-EMT40 said:
I didn't/don't consider the stream crossing to be the worst part of this approach. There are several areas on the cliffs that I think could be downright dangerous without the right equipment.
For much of the winter the river is frozen over and you can cross with no trouble, you can see this right away and choose a different route and safety isn't far away if you do break thru.

The worst spot on the ledges is a narrow traverse above an overhanging cliff, somebody posted a photo of it in summer a few months ago. The spot can be avoided by bushwhacking uphill, steep but plenty of scrub to hold on to :)

If not done on ski trails both ways, many go up 19 Mile, Wildcat Ridge to D & down Polecat. This is usually near the end of the day & ski folks are okay with you on the side.

While the side hill on 19 mile is interesting, there is an old (not that old) slide on the Wildcat Ridge Trail between the Notch & A Peak that can be tough to cross due to ice & snow, some have brought ropes.

Below treeline this might be one of the few places you might think about having an axe. If you get to D after 4:00 you can probably glissade the trails providing you are competent using the axe as a brake.

wildcat

Plan on doing just that: nineteen mile, peak A to Peak D and down Polecat. Thanks Mike for the heads up on the area between notch and A.
kmac

I'm tempted to say that last winter there was an accident on the slide where the hiker broke his leg, may have even been posted here & the hiker chimed in.

Besides the sliding part he also mentioned how important it was to have something (closed cell foam pad) to sit on as he had to sit & wait for help.

I can see how that could happen Mike, when I did it coming back I slipped near that section but was lucky and only slid 20 feet or so, came up hard against some small spruce or something, had a good bruise. I wasn't wearing crampons and we were kicking our way across the top of that slide.