Wildcat O&B

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

shamples

Reaction score
I have yet to knock Wildcat off my list but it is on my soon to-do list now.

I probably won't have a car spot for 19MBT exit so I was thinking of parking at Pinkham Notch, taking that Lost Pond Tr to Wildcat Ridge Tr.

I know Wildcat Ridge Trail is challenging from everything I have read, but how treacherous is it to have to go back DOWN it? I plan on ascending this way and hitting all 5 Wildcat Peaks, but by the time I get out to A peak near Carter Notch, was going to backtrack and go back down the way I came. I am just not sure how it is to go back down to Rt 16.

Mileage-wise, it isn't too bad even though it's some pretty good elevation climbing overall.

I did this many years ago, and it was a full day, but doable. The only difference was we parked at the Glenn Ellis Falls lot, and hiked WRT all the way out and back. I was not a particularly strong hiker then, and unfortunately did not bring enough water. It was a good day though.

You can do it. I have done it more than once without fear or consequence. Once I hiked Wildcat Ridge to D, out and back. Last year I did the ridge traverse starting at 19 Mile Brook. I remember thinking I wouldn't have wanted to have been carrying my then 2 year old in a pack. (It was one of my solo hikes, and I don't get out often without carrying my kid.) But with just a day pack it's fine. South bounders on the AT have to do it with a full pack. Have fun!

I used a bicycle to close the loop - 19MBT to PNVC. I'm sure you could thumb a ride... might have more luck getting a ride from PNVC - i.e., thumbing with a pack from their lot will probably get you a ride pretty quick, meaning you'd still have to come down from E peak. It's steep and rough and slow, but if you're careful, I would not say it was dangerous.

You can also ask for a ride, if you know when, in Trips & Events... many people will be in the area, even if they aren't doing that exact hike.

Tim

Last edited:
Have been four times, walked the road twice, in winter and in Summer. Came down Wildcat Ridge & walked back to car in summer, it's doable. In winter, I should have asked one of our moderators to move it, we passed him on his way out.

In the fall, parked at 19 Mile & hitch hiked up to PNVC and in the Spring did the bike option, oddly left bike at PNVC, drove to 19 mile & then decided to come down Polecat so I still had a bit of a road walk.

Hitch hiking that section of road on a Saturday AM is pretty safe if you're a guy, plenty of hikers, It's an easy bike ride down from PNVC to 19 mile also.

But with just a day pack it's fine. South bounders on the AT have to do it with a full pack. Have fun!

And along with a full pack, I recall slipping 2-3 times and tearing the elbow of my rain coat on this descent.

Coming down is not a big problem when dry. It's much tougher when wet (and with a pack). Consider a plan B for rainy day.

Shamples, thinking of this same trip, with a variation in that we don't want to do an out and back. We would start at PNVC and end at 19MBT. The options for getting back to the car include: thumbing a ride, posting here to see if someone else in area might be willing to provide a ride one way at beginning of hike (parking at 19, ride to PNVC and hike back), road walk (ugh...loathe them), or the AMC shuttle. It's $10 for short trips such as those between PNVC and 19MBT.

Who knows...maybe we'll be up there the same day and we can help each other out. We don't have this in the definite column yet so don't know when we'll be making the trek.

Kathy

Very doable. Like Raven said, dry day is best. The open ledges were wet for my descent and not a place you want to slip. I did lost pond as Glen Ellis was too high to cross during spring snowpack melt. Have fun and good luck - enjoy the amazing views! There is a spring on the way up WRT (at least was there 3 years ago), watch for the small sign.

The main thing is that there are wooden steps set into the rock, as on the Fishin’ Jimmy Trail up North Kinsman. And the ledges are more out in the open than on Fishin’ Jimmy, so you can see that you’d fall a longer way if you were to misstep.

My first time on Wildcat, I returned to the D-E col and walked down the ski trails, then back up the road to the Pinkham Notch Visitor Center.

Second time, accompanied by my ladyfriend and my son, we went down into Carter Notch and took Nineteen-Mile Brook Trail out to Route 16, then trudged back up the road toward the visitor center. We didn’t have to go all the way, though, because two men and a dog whom we’d met on Wildcat D were driving up the road and saw us and turned around and gave us a ride. On Wildcat D, they had mentioned that they were planning to take the tram down, so I told them that for AMC peakbagging purposes, that wasn’t permitted. They looked at each other and said that they would think about it, and when they picked us up one of the fellows told us that, as he was the one who was actually interested in the peakbagging, he had taken the trail down while the other man and his dog had taken the tram. So their kindness saved us a bit of walking.

The one time I climbed the Carters, I walked from Nineteen-Mile Brook back up to the Imp Trail where my car was parked. Not sure how the two distances compare, but I remember that being a very buggy walk, despite being in September.

I forgot to point out that southbound Appalachian Trail through-hikers go down Wildcat Ridge to Route 16. Remember the Tuba Man from 2000? He bushwhacked up Wildcat A from Carter Notch somehow first. Climbed a cliff, was the way he described it, after losing the trail.

If you want to just bag the summits, no need to do the climb up from Lost Pond, you can hike up and down the ski trail and bag the 4K summits. Skipping the former "E" peak is no major loss its just a high spot in in the woods.

Note, I do not know if the ski area is still enforcing the need to buy an access pass now that ski season is over.

Going down WRT to Lost Pond and RT 16 is steep, definitely less pleasant than going up it. Its very slippery in spots on a wet day.

My preference is go up the AT from Lost Pond, hike the ridge and come down the ski trail. Another thing to note, once you leave Lost Pond , the ridge is dry so make sure you bring enough water

Not by Choice I did it as a loop hike last year, where I went up the ski trails, hiked the ridge North, dropped down to 19 MBT and then walked back up RT 16 to the Wildcat lot. It wasnt too bad, you can save some time by taking the back entrance to the Wildcat Parking lot, it skips the steep hill on RT 16.

Last edited:
I did this many years ago, and it was a full day, but doable. The only difference was we parked at the Glenn Ellis Falls lot, and hiked WRT all the way out and back. I was not a particularly strong hiker then, and unfortunately did not bring enough water. It was a good day though.

Funny, I did the same thing the first time I hiked them. For the last mile I was day dreaming of a cold slush puppy. The trail is very doable, especially when dry. Lots of up and downs though and the ledges are steep but on your way back there are many spots to break with views.

FYI - No one was out collecting $ a couple weekends ago when my daugher and I did the Wildcats... We went up the slopes to D and then over WRT to 19mile.. Fortunately, we had a car spot this time, but I've done it before without one and haven't had any trouble hitching...

I maintain that section from 16 to Wildcat D. I think the trickest part is the two sections of rock pin steps. Be very sure of your footing on these steps because mud from boots and just general dampness can make them slick. Just before you reach the first rock pin steps, there is a side trail marked by a sign to a water source. If you see the steps, back up ten feet and look to your left. There is a mucky trail that leads to a small waterfall. In hot weather, that water is meager and sometimes does not flow at all.

Heading downhill from Wildcat D to 16 is hard on the knees but manageable. I cheat when doing trailwork and take the tram to the top and always work downhill. I always bring a pair of water-shoes and cross at Glen Ellis. In five years of trailwork, I've only used Lost Pond once. It's hard to hitchhike for me however, hiking with my axe, people are less inclined to pick me up.

So doubt I will have a car spot at 19MBT
That looks like a far road walk so don't want to do that.

Now giving thought to the same O&B but instead of going all the way back down WRT, instead going down the ski trails? Is there a particular ski trail to take? Is this legal in terms of hiking the 48 4,000 footers? Is it legal in terms of Wildcat mountain management hiking ski trails? And what is the Polecat trail? Is that the one people use most or should I be focusing somewhere else? Or is it just easier to go back down WRT. I would def be choosing a dry day for this.

http://www.skiwildcat.com/trails-terrain.html

Uphill Hiking/Skiing Route
Uphill access to Wildcat Mountain by lift, climbing, hiking or any manual ascent is given only after a trail pass has been purchased for the day or with a valid season pass. Users of facilities do so under NH statutes S225-A:24 and RSA 637:8. The tickets carry WMSA liability waiver. When climbing, hiking, or manually ascending Wildcat Mountain, the designated uphill route is Stray Cat to Middle Polecat to Upper Polecat and will be identified and posted in the main base lodge at the ticket counter. Use of the mountain during the winter operating season is prohibited outside of regular operating hours.

It is legal for the 4ks list and the ski area to use the ski trail when the ski area is not open. Basically follow the access road down, its real obvious. For 3/4 of the route just keep right but at some point down lower the polecat goes left towards the base lodge and another trail goes right. Just follow the gravel path down. If you are walking back to your 19MB, take a right before the bridge to the ski lodge and follow the gravel road that runs down the D lot, it saves some time walking along the road. It is a much easier to go down the ski trail and wild strawberries are in season on the ski slope. It is a long road walk so stashing a bike at wildcat makes for a nice coast downhill for the majority of the trip. The only thing you miss is the view south from the notch on the ledges. This ski trails will save an hour off the hike. If you are hitching you have a very good chance of hitch.