Wildcats 7/29

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Willoughby

Reaction score
Yesterday I headed for the Wildcats, yet another long drive to the eastern side of the WMNF. I pulled in to Pinkham (the main parking lot is still under construction), admired the views and geared up, hitting Lost Pond Trail at about 8:45am - a later start than I really wanted on a warm day.

Lost Pond Trail wouldn't let me move quickly, and oh by the way I found the Lost Pond: it's all over the trail! But there's a great view from the side of the (real) lost Pond, and eventually I got to the Wildcat Ridge Trail and headed up. And up. And up. I knew this was going to be steep, and I wasn't disappointed. The trail is mostly well-constructed, but when you get up to the ledges there are places where I was climbing up on my hands and knees, always keeping three points anchored while I moved the fourth. I started to wonder whether I would want to descend these same ledges after a long day's hike.

But the views! The views across the notch to Washington and the ravines are spectacular, and as you get higher Adams & Madison (where I was recently) come into sight, and looking south you can see Chocorua (an early hike this year) and the Sandwich Range.

After many PUDs I found 'E' peak, and soon after that the top of the Gondola and 'D' peak, where I stopped for a quick lunch. Nice views from the top of the ski trails, but I was starting to worry about time. The descent from 'D' into the Col and then the ascent of 'C' were very slow, and I nearly turned back at 'C'. But I stopped to chat with a family (they rode the gondola and were hiking to the hut), and they pulled out maps, looked at contour lines, convinced me to go on. Indeed, the trail moderates and from 'C' to 'A' was much, much quicker.

On 'A' I found a girls camp from Lake Winnepesaukee, a highpoint with a tiny cairn and a sign that looks like the handle of a trowel, and views into the notch. Across the way is Carter Dome, which had no views when I was there several weeks earlier, socked in by fog. Down below is the hut and 19-mile brook, where I helped with a carryout on the same trip.

After another bite to eat I headed back - I was past my turnaround time, low on water, and not happy about retracing my steps. 'A' to 'C' flew by, then 'C' to 'D' was another long slog. Along the way I decided to descend the ski trails, and finish the loop on Rt 16. As I passed the gondola station an employee stepped out to stop me - but only to offer me a map of the ski trails and some advice. Very nice!

The Polecat trails down offer more views, occassional breezes (very welcome), and much easier walking than Wildcat Ridge. Highly recommended. The road walk back was boring and hot but not too long.

Wildcat 'D' was #44, and Wildcat 'A' was #45 of 48. My pictures are here.

Last edited: