Winter boot advice

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

werdigo49

Reaction score
Help with my Christmas list! I don't get much opportunity to get to the mountains in the winter, but a few years ago I found my all-leather Merrell summer hiking boots just didn't keep my feet warm on all-day snowshoe hikes in the Adirondack High Peaks.

I have some Sorel boots (rubber/leather pacs, with felt liners) but I don't remember if they work with the snowshoes; the boots are here at home, and the 'shoes are at the camp. I suspect that I'd be better off with actual winter hiking boots, maybe like the Columbia Bugexcellerator winter boots (about $100) I found in the Campmor catalog (which I'm poring through to develop a Christmas list).

Advice from experienced winter hikers? My snowshoes are 5-year-old L. L. Bean aluminum,.

Last edited:
Most likely your Sorels will work with your snowshoes.

When not using plastic boots we like the Columbia brand of boots such as the Ice Dragon or the Ice Crusher. They work well with both snowshoes and crampons. NorthFace makes simlar boots, but we found Columbia fit us better. I'd strongly suggest trying them on before buying to be sure you get the one that fits the best.

I've used Sorels and Columbias for snowshoeing but they have too much flex when used with crampons for me.I found these from Chippewa .Insulated and fur lined (very cozy ! ) these match the warmth of most plastics and handle crampon work better than the softer soled boots . Warm , sturdy , and handmade in America .

Salomon's B52 is a warm winter snowshoe boot. It is also sold at EMS, REI and LLBean. B52

LLBean also has a new boot that is advertised as a snowshoe capable boot but I have not seen it yet. Wildcat Boot

JohnL

Sorels

I just picked up a pair of Sorels off eBay for under $50. Mine are made in Canada-the newer ones (Caribou II) are made in China and retail for $100. I used an old borrowed pair for snowshoeing in Atlas 1025's and they worked fine. I also snowshoed wearing a pair of Asolo 101s (double plastics) but they are way too heavy and no flex at all. I'd stick with the Sorels or maybe try the Columbias. I got the Sorels because they were cheap and I won't be using them all that much.

Last edited:
Merrell fan

As the saying goes....advice is cheap so I offer this only as a personal opinion from a long-time loyal member of the Merrell family. (i.e. I still have and annually alternate two pairs of Merrell Wilderness boots that I have resoled twice each. They are the only 3-season boots I've ever owned.)

My winter boots for snowshoes/crampons are also Merrells. At the time I purchased them they were called Polar Bear W/P, but I do not think Merrell makes that particular model any more. They are waterproof and my feet have NEVER been cold in them. The insulation is Thinsulate with a Polartec lining. Here is a current Merrell website to investigate:

http://www.merrell.com/Shop/Gallery.aspx?NavID=FT-O-HIK

Whatever boot or manufacturer you decide on, invest in boots that will protect your feet from subzero temperatures and be certain they are waterproof in case you suddently discover a hidden stream underfoot. It is also a good idea to try your snowshoes and crampons on your potential purchase to see if they fit and function properly. Winter mountain hiking is no place for a boot bargain that may or may not protect, perform and endure. Seven miles deep into the interior of the High Peaks in winter is no place to discover that your boots have been compromised by the elements and your feet are next.

I truly believe my Merrells are one of the main reasons why I am still at it after nearly 30 years.

Happy shopping!

Progress report: Thanks VERY MUCH for the great suggestions. I just wanted to report that I went out last night to the REI store about 3 miles from my home and bought a pair of North Face Baltoro HV400's. I was able to try a couple of different sizes. The store also had Columbia Bugawilds and Bugabootoos in stock.

Pete, I also wear Merrell Wilderness boots... mine are definitely due for a resoling! I was glad to see your post because these boots are increasingly seeming to be anachronistic in this day of lightweight running-shoe based trail shoes. But I saw several ankle injuries on the Long Trail in the last couple of summers, and none of them was mine. The caution that comes with age deserves a lot of the credit, I'm sure, but perhaps the solid Merrells do too.

Thanks again, guys. VFTT is such a wonderful resource!

--Werdigo49

ck out the merrell winterra for an awesome insulated boot for winter hiking, use with snowshoes and universal (strap-on) crampons. retail these run around $155 but you can find on sale for $100 or less. sierra trading post did have them on sale for $79 but i don't know what they have left:
www.sierratradingpost.com

if you want something you can use with a step in type crampon ck out the salomon super mountain 8.i just picked these out for my boyfriend who insisted he have a stepin crampon compatible boot this yr (tired of struggling w/ strap on crampons in the cold). but he also did not want to spend a fortune either! i found a site that sells overstock etc merchandise that had this boot for $79 and lots of sizes available. we just got the boot today and it is a plush comfortable boot right out of the box for a stiffer crampon type boot. i belive they have some insulation too; there's some type of thicker lining in them. they are really nice folks to work with. their site is:

http://www.thegearshack.com

re: insulation i use the "insulator" insole during the winter. rated to -70 it helps keep the bottoms of your feet warm. they are only $10 or so.