Taconic Crest Trail-Pownal to Snow Hole?

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bobcat

Reaction score
Does anyone have any information on the Taconic Crest Trail regarding the section between the Snow Hole and Rt 346? I'm looking for distance, notable features, points of interest, general tips, possibly a map? I'm guessing it's about 5-6 miles one way. Is it well marked? There is abundant information regarding the section between Route 2 and the Snow Hole but the lack of info (that I can find) on the northern section is puzzling. Thanks in advance for any info.

The Taconic Hiking Club

They published a booklet-guide (available at the Book House in Albany -$6.95, phone 518-489-4761). It doesn't come with an overall map - those are sold separately, but has small maps showing access points to reach the Taconic Crest trail. I have the booklet, but not the maps. It says it is also available at the Mountain Goat Sporting Goods store in Williamsown (phone: 413-458-8445).

I haven't done that stretch, but the guide says it's 4.9 miles and it has a detailed route description.

The booklet is titled: Trail Guide - Taconic Crest Trail - Route 20 Pittsfiled, MA to Route 346 N. Petersburgh, NY. Last revised in 2002. It's 28 pages.

Last edited:
I've done this many time.
The TCT is marked with white blazes. You might it more difficult to follow from the direction you mentioned, and easier to pick up in Petersburgh Pass.

This Spring, right near SnowHole, there was a snowmelt pond alive with mating frogs. They were so loud, we followed the noises 1/8 mile off the trail wondering what the racket was.

The Taconic Hiking Club also has a trail guide with a rough map and descriptions.

PB

It is also described in "Natural Areas of Rensselaer County".

Thanks for the info

It sounds like their aren't any big surprises. I'll post a report on the trail conditions after I check it out; likely I'll wait for some snow.

Thanks,

-Bobcat