Telephone Pioneers Shelter on AT in NY ?

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Chip

Reaction score
I've always gone north, but thought I should venture into NY on the AT very soon.
This shelter and topography looks interesting, like our Riga maybe ?
What's the buzz ? Tell me what's happening...

The shelter is about two thirds of the way up the hill, far enough up to give the party animals pause. The spring has been known to dry up, but is sure to be running now. Just 1/3 of a mile beyond the lean-to is a gorgeous overlook, with a vista of the Harlem Valley, great place to watch the sunset. Down at the road is one of the oldest oak trees on the AT. I have always enjoyed the walks across the fields on both sides of Rt 22, though they can be hot. About 2.5 miles past the lean-to is Nuclear Lake, where I always take a swim. If you are wondering about the name "Nuclear Lake", it was the site of a Plutonium processing plant, and there was a great hew and cry about the location. I wouldn't hesitate to swim there once or twice a year, but I wouldn't eat any fish caught in that lake and I don't drink water from it.

Didn't stop by there last year, so I can't help 1st hand, but Whiteblaze has a breakdown of all the shelters along the trail by state and what they are like if you are interested, link below.

http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=299

I do remember Nuclear Lake though......that was beautiful and all the fields around the AT train stop, phew........on a hot, humid day, they were rough, but very easy walking!!

Michelle said:
Didn't stop by there last year, so I can't help 1st hand, but Whiteblaze has a breakdown of all the shelters along the trail by state and what they are like if you are interested, link below.

http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=299

I do remember Nuclear Lake though......that was beautiful and all the fields around the AT train stop, phew........on a hot, humid day, they were rough, but very easy walking!!

hey Chickety, i Southbounded the AT last year 05, and i ran into you with some of my firends that you knew from an LT NoBo thur-hike. bewildered is my name and you knew my buddys LIttle debbie ( trybo on the LT) and tugboat.

we ran into you in VT south of killington some where, at a great privet shelter with a view from the cat walk on the roof. i was there with other SOBOs Don king and Supper T.

enjoy trail life

simply,
peter

Yeah!!!
Too funny running into Little Debbie (Tribo) on the AT last year, we were walking right past each other (opposite directions of course) and then were like...............HEY!!!! What a suprise! He had HUGE dreads on the LT in '03!! It's a small world. We joked saying...........what trail we going to be on next?!
Never did see Tugboat.

I remember that shelter..........some of you crazy SOBOs slept on the roof! :eek:
Hope you had a great rest of your hike!

~Chickety