Gender differential

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

male or female?

• Total voters
timmus said:
Do you think it is dangerous for a woman to hike/backpack alone?
NO. No more so than for anyone else, generally, given the same amount of precaution. I worry less about human predators on the trail than I do in civilization.

In general, I think my only true disadvantage is my height. Being 5'1" with really short legs makes it harder to get to certain places. But I get there. I just work harder at it because I have to. Doesn't mean I'm not going to try. My only advantage is in ducking under blowdowns.

Like everything else in life, it's a trade off. You work with what you've got. That's it.

timmus said:
(and if I can choose, I prefer ending my life in the woods than in a dark alley, downtown Montreal.
I'm with you there. It's where I'd rather go. Absolutely.

As for a few other fine points:

I believe MadRiver called it right: I think the biggest difference with women and men on the trail is our need to squat in private. That's about it. BTW, did Mrs. MadRiver point that out as well ? (I still remember her "There's no crying in hiking" quote -- it just sounds like female observation again.) :D

And might I just add, I'm up for a charter membership in the Tecumseh Mountaineering Academy. Love that testy little viewless hump!

Periwinkle said:
As for a few other fine points:

I believe MadRiver called it right: I think the biggest difference with women and men on the trail is our need to squat in private. :D

This is not necessary :cool: :eek: My friend and I just pull our shorts off to the side and stand like the big boys!! You learn the finer points of peeing while trailrunning... :eek: :eek: