Gender differential

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

male or female?

• Total voters
Names more important

I'd like to see more posts with the postees real name, either at the end of the post or in their signature. I've arranged to hike with people and had to resort to using their screen name on the phone at times.

It's funny when you get someones wife/husband/children on the phone and have to ask for "dirtbagger182" or some such.

As to the poll, I am a male.

Kevin

Divulging too much information onapublic forum is not a good idea. PMing someone is a better way to communicate more information with less exposure. Maybe that's why alot of hikers keep personal information annonomous.

Carole....
I think it is a good honest question...I imagine many folks here have wondered if so-and-so is a man/woman....with giggy, it's a toss up...with Bob K, I'm not sure if he/she is pre- or post-op....
After corresponding with Dugan for months, we met for a group hike...I had always thought she was a guy--no matter, more than a year later we are hiking buddies!....a couple of guys I PM'd back and forth with asked for dates-- now when corresponding, I wonder should I tell the (VFTT) world I am gay so as not to innocently lead anyone on?....there is one person on this site who still remains a gender mystery to me...it really doesn't matter in any important sense, it's just curiosity.....bubba said he thought I was masculine before we met, I imagine he thinks the same since we have met (hahaha)...I am a woman but quite definitely androgenous--I don't strictly adhere to any of society's dictates on dress or acting accordingly...

Let's face it, a comment coming from a man or from a woman can have a different slant because we have nature and nurture elements that make us different....knowing someone's gender doesn't necessarily lead to a conclusion based soley on the gender, it's just a bit more information about a fellow hiker.....

...Jade
PS Periwinklelavenderfemgirl....I wear an EMS black sports bra and Patagonia black bikinis!!!! :p

Periwinkle said:
I always figured that it was pretty clear that I was a chick --
It wasn't clear to me.

In some cases it is easy. For example, "Carole", even with an 'e' sounds like a woman (actually the 'e' re-inforces that), but in many other cases it is not. More than once I had assumed* that a person was a male, when they were not. Sometimes, after reading a person's posts for many months, they say something that makes me think, "xxxx is a woman??? I never knew that" Then, of course there have been several times I met a woman, and she said, "I'm yyyyy." and I was shocked.

Of course there are one or two that worked the other way as well. For some reason, their avatars and/or screen name made me think they were a woman.

There may be some who prefer that their sex is not known, and heck, some may even try to make make someone think the other way.

With my older avatar-- a picture of a guy with an axe--and a name like 'Pete' most people will think I'm a guy. Those who have met me know what I am.

Oh yeah. The most common thread that 'brought out' women whom I thought were guys, were threads on personal safety when hiking. When guys say, "for a woman...", women will frequently say, "Yeah, well I'm a woman, and..." There was one person, that I met some time ago, and she told me that most people assumed that she was a guy. I told her that I didn't because I remembered something from one of those threads.

*assumed-- Since most are guys around here, it is reasonable that one assume an unknown is a guy. Probability is in your favor.

Last edited:
Maybe I'm just oblivious...I try not to think too deeply, I guess. Sometimes it's obvious (like my name or avitar), sometimes not. I don't worry too much about the occasional "Personal Safety" threads. Usually the posters' genders are apparent.

It might really freak me out if I found out someone I was corresponding with wasn't the gender I'd expected. I've never hiked with a female, but then most of my hiking is solo. I guess I wouldn't be against it, though.

jade said:
....there is one person on this site who still remains a gender mystery to me...it really doesn't matter in any important sense, it's just curiosity.....bubba said he thought I was masculine before we met, I imagine he thinks the same since we have met (hahaha)...I am a woman but quite definitely androgenous--I don't strictly adhere to any of society's dictates on dress or acting accordingly...

This is SOOOOOO FUNNY!!! Jade, we have corresponded back and forth on at least a half dozen topics. I at first thought you were a guy, then you mentioned something and I thought I had it all wrong. Another time we PM'd each other and I thought you were a guy again, then we PM'd about the FLT and I thought you were a woman, Then England and I thought you were a guy. Not that it mattered, but I had no clue!!!! :D

BTW, England was wonderful (as usual). That is as soon as we got North of Blackpool/Preston and the crowds wore thin.

I stocked up on Walkers Ready Salted, Kendal Mint Cakes (Might as well not even bother hiking a peak if you can't have a mintcake at the top!!!), Pims and Lager Shandy's (I think you'd get laughed out of a Bar here in the states if you asked for a Shandy).
Cheers
Rick

When I first saw the poll question I thought it was just a question to check on the demographics of VFTT. Gender doesn't really matter here on line because if I can't immediately tell the gender of the person posting, it is the question or information given that is important. As for meeting in person, male or female doesn't matter. There are solid hikers and climbers on this board and that seems to be the primary interest of all that I have met and hiked with. Enjoy the mountains and the company of others that enjoy the same activities.

Woody

Male here. The 'R' in "rhihn" is for Richard. "Hihn" is a weird last name, but it happens to be mine. On other forums, I'm "Dick" which is what I prefer to be called.

Gender matters.

Good question/point. Gender does matter in conversation because ...(newsflash!) ...there are differences between men and women! Carole's question was spun from the 'personnal safety' thread, where I noticed a gender difference. It seams to me that women are more realistic about safety and the exisitance of creepy people.

Concerning women hiking alone or with other women, I see it more and more and it's wonderful. Yesterday I met a great woman hiking solo up Caps Ridge Trail. She was happy that her kids were in college so she could now hike all she wanted. Her face was full of joy and energy, and she was in total command of herself. I was shocked when she said she was 50 years old. Awesome!

Happy Trails :)

forestnome said:
I was shocked when she said she was 50 years old. Awesome!

Happy Trails :)
Were you shocked because you thought 50 was old? If so - it's been my observation that the majority of regular hiker (those who get out once a week or more) are usually 50+. Nothing magical here, just availability of time.

kevin.....
i think, like me, she looked twenty years younger than 50! :D
...jade (young coot)

jade said:
kevin.....
i think, like me, she looked twenty years younger than 50! :D
...jade (young coot)
Jade - of course! Silly me ... just celebrated your 35th, didn't you?

Kevin

forestnome said:
Concerning women hiking alone or with other women, I see it more and more and it's wonderful.
Hmmmm... 35 years ago, on my first "big" hike, a week backpacking alone, I ran into a few people ( most of the time, I saw no one).. Funny, I remember their names. Therre were two guys, Gord & Scotty, and the next day, I met a woman, alone, Kerry. I never thought anything about seeing a woman hiking alone at the time..... and I never did, until more recently, when I hear people talking about it as if it is something special.

I've often hiked all day with only one other guy and I've hiked (less often) all day with only one other girl. I agree with Dick that gender matters. There is a difference in the flavour and feel of the day. I enjoy both.

Like to wear dresses....

As you can see I am female...and this sports bra IS very comfortable....even if I want to get it off me as soon as I'm back at the car.... :D

I don't really care one way or the other about hiker gender..if they ate beans the night before the hike and expect to lead...well THAT is an important issue. :eek:

I was assumed to be a guy at one point (picture not available) and was curious about how I portrayed myself as masculine....still not sure.

Kevin M - your call comment was hilarious!! Trailnames is a totally different subject. I can't tell you how many people have asked if I like to do sit-ups. Who does?! My dog's name is Abby :)

Neil said:
I agree with Dick that gender matters. There is a difference in the flavour and feel of the day. I enjoy both.

Sorry...had a Beavis & Butthead moment....lol. ;)

Peace.

Kevin Rooney said:
Were you shocked because you thought 50 was old? If so - it's been my observation that the majority of regular hiker (those who get out once a week or more) are usually 50+. Nothing magical here, just availability of time.

Shocked because she looked to be about 38 yrs. old. I thought she was younger than me. At age 42, it's been a long time since I thought 50 was old! ;)