Sandwiches & Carters, Rivers & Rains

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

--M.

Reaction score
Day One: Rain
Forgot the boots, went back; forgot the primary raincoat, used the back-up.
Camped at Dolly Copp & hiked a mile up the Daniel Webster Scout Trail. It is being cut & brushed out for new ski trails. I crossed four cuts, each straight down the fall line.

Day Two: Mixed Clouds & Sun
Hiked 19-Mile Brook to Carter Notch Hut to Carter Dome to Hight back to 19-Mile Brook. See "Trail Conditions," (http://www.vftt.org/trail/nh/6243.html).
I was going to overnight at CNH and then camp at Imp, but forgot they don't feed at CNH, and it was full of swimming, screaming 12-year-olds, so I made a day hike out of it.
The hike up from CNH is dramatic and awesome in the wind! Carter Dome was socked in, but Mount Hight was all it was cracked up to be, just beautiful! I couldn't find a marker, however, so I'm guessing on the actual summit location.
Got back in time to shower at Pinkham and camp again at Dolly Copp. In the clear now, I could see how Mrs. Copp named Imp Mountain. It sticks right up there, doesn't it?!

Day Three: Rain
Tried to fish the upper Androscoggin. It was too high, but some more capable than I were pulling out 9-inch brookies. Errol and Dummer are beautiful.
Saw some white-water rafters on the Andro up there; that's when I knew they'd had too much rain for fishing.
Please give your angling money to North Country Anglers; they're great.

Day Four: Rain
Hiked Blueberry Ledge to Whiteface and across to Passaconaway. The trail up was beautiful, but whited out in a cloud. No views at all.
The scrambles and ledges on the Blueberry Ledge Trail reminded me of the values of momentum, commitment and staying in the moment. I met a father/son duo up top who were a little antsy about the ladders having been taken out. I love this kind of scrambling, with just enough danger to provide keen focus, but it takes a while to get the sea legs back.
Saw the Tainter plaque up top; there's lots of cool local history in the Sandwiches!
A large moose cow and I surprised each other; thankfully, she bolted AWAY from me. This was along the RollinsTrail ridgeline.
In my "Sandwich Traverse" thread (http://www.vftt.org/forums/showthread.php?t=12959), I had asked a series of questions about this area. Here are some answers for the next ones going up:
No, you can't really bushwack along the Sleeper Ridge; it's too thick.
The three camps up top have been taken out. Their cool names (Heermance, Rich, Shehadi) derive from the personnae of those who either built them or maintained them. They are NOT logging camps, but were built by hikers around the turn of the century. The Wonalancet OutDoor Club has a long and rich history. Camping is still okay there, although it's not actively encouraged. On the other hand, the WODC uses phrases like "You'll need to provide your own shelter." That doesn't seem too discouraging to me.
The sign for the Tom Wiggin Trail says: "Not recommended: Steep and Loose." I had asked about bushwacking to it from Wonalancet peak; it seems to be a difficult undertaking at best.
The Sandwich Notch Road is NOT for low-clearance vehicles, and is a slow ride. That said, it is passable and had a lot of traffic on it for being a height-of-land dirt road.
All trails were well-maintained and beautifully clear. The WODC really rocks. I was, however, continually reminded of the "Spiders on the Kanc" thread title.
The rain really kicked in at Passaconaway, with some nearby lightning, too. Made me wonder how close is too close as I descended briskly. A group of about ten boys & men were staying at Camp Rich, which looked quite homey.

Day Five: Sun & Thunder
I used this day to explore Sandwich Notch. Without giving away too much, I found a magical place that seemed to speak for the whole region. I think the entire Sandwich/Tamworth area could bear extensive exploration; it's too cool.
The spot in question involved a very long series of waterfalls, which provided another possibility for rock scrambling. About half-way up, I was taking a lunch break, when a wood sprite bounded past me up the cataracts. It turned out to be a teen-aged girl, who eventually returned for her camera, but her sudden appearance and subsequent disappearance gave me quite a surprise.
Finding the trails up into Mount Israel turned out to be too tricky for a late afternoon hike, and the oncoming electrical activity sent me instead to North Conway to see a movie.

Day Six: Sun & Home
Explored Holderness, Ashland and Plymouth for breakfast and headed south.
Fished the Ashuelot, west of Monadnock, also running a bit high.
Next time, bring the bike and ride the whole Sandwich/Tamworth/Holderness area; it's a cyclist's dream, provided a certain fitness level.

Thanks to all whose notes were helpful; maybe get back out there next week.

--M.

Last edited: