Lost - Hiking pole

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

askus3

Reaction score
Warwick, NY ( 3 miles by crow from Wildcat Shelter
I left my hiking pole (Gilvan collapsible pole) at the col around 2560 feet and (trail ?) snowmobile trail junction a mile or so below (north of) Dixville Peak and .4 mile south of ski lodge on top of Dixville Notch Ski area. What happened was the trail (Cohos) was a quagmire for that short distance and on top of that I was with a group and it was a steady rain on 8/21/06, Monday. I just could not pull myself back for that .4 mile twice to retrieve the pole. I also could tell the trail is poorly marked, rarely followed and a sign pointing to Dixville Peak was laying on the ground. Between the all day rain and the condition of the trail this hike that I planned as a humongous circular in the Dixville Notch area other than a few short highlights (Table Rock, Index Rock, Huntington Cascades & Balsam resort Hotel was shortened from 18 --> 11 miles but should have been significantly been reduced to about 6 miles. There are some exciting scenic highlights worth seeing but Dixville Peak just was not one of them. Anyway, if anyone ever (why would you) gets to that miserable trail junction and sees a hiking pole there and wants to retrieve it, a thank you in advance will be appreciated.

Eventually a trip report with accompanying photos will be forthcoming.