Antibott Plates

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ghassert

Reaction score
Matawan, NJ Avatar:Harriman Stae Park, NY
I'm thiking of purchasing either the Grivel G10 or G12 New Classic crampons and was wondering if I should also get the Antibott Plates. I have an older pair of Grivel 6 point instep crampons and have had problems in the past with wet snow balling under them.

Any thoughts or suggestions would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Glenn

I own G10 and G12 crampons which I have used several times without antibott plates (mostly out west). When the conditions breakdown and the snow, or ice pack gets soft and wet, they always balled up with ice. I bought the antibott accessories and the problem went away. Only on a rare occasion will I still get build-up. It is a good investment.

I bought the anti-bot device things online for my Grivel g12's and thought at the time of purchase it was a lot of money for a couple pieces of plastic! However, they are well constructed, strong and have sturdy clips for easy attachment.

Only used them once so far on the Flume trip this last Sunday but wore them a good way down the Liberty Springs trail which was slick from traffic and had a lot of wet snow and ice. Never had a problem with balling at all.

Bob