South Rangeley 3K's 9/30/06

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Gamehiker

Reaction score
After a weekend of rain I was certainly chomping at the bit to get out and yesterday was the perfect weather day to do so.

Beaver Mountain
The approach was easy from Cross Town Road off Rt. 17. (Large Bull Moose sighting on 17 just South of turnoff) The newest Delorme shows a bridge out on the unnamed approach road but that was not the case. From Cross Town Road it was .7 Miles up this road to a spot where boulders blocked any further driving. From here Sadie and I walked with a beautiful approach view of the mountain. Thanks to Kurt's (Onestep) excellent directions we left the road at the 2460 ft. level and started up an old clear cut. From the topo I estimated .6 Miles to the summit and it turned out to be exact. The clearcut ended at .3 miles and from there it was all open woods to the summit. I was told that there were several false summits with this one but somehow I managed to go straight to the jar no problem. An incredibly ridiculously easy bushwhack. The jar was full of water and the new notebook was wet. Jim C. was the last person to sign in but was unable to decipher the date. Left new paper in new ziplock but peanut butter jars seem less water tight than jelly-pickle jars. On the way back to the car met 5 people on the road. No packs or water so they weren't going too far. Continued on Cross Town Road which turns into Edelheid Road and goes out thru Rangeley's burgeoning southern suburbs along Long Pond out to Rt. 4.

Unnamed Peak by Ledge Pond
For this one I cheated a little by driving up Beech Hill Road and parking just after the AT crossing therefore cutting about 1.5 miles round trip off the hike.
The AT was meticulously groomed with just a few muddy spots between Ethel and Eddy Ponds. This was not one of our usual solitary hikes as the AT was crowded with dayhikers headed to and from Saddleback. Just before Eddy Pond I was looking for the old woods road shown on the topo and stumbled onto a Blue and Yellow blazed boundary trail headed right up the mountain. It turned out to be the AT corridor boundary. So what I expected to be a longer day turned out to be a short, easy couple of summits. An uneventful hike back down thru beautiful foliage led us back to the car. The AT parking lot on Rt 4 was filled to overflowing so I was glad I parked where I did.
Gamehiker

Good job Jim.

I found the jar on Beaver Mtn lying on the ground partially embedded in moss. I rehung it. Maybe I should have left it on the ground. As I recall there was no water in it!

Sounds like you found an easier way up Ledge Pond peak. I snowshoed up to Eddy pond and backtracked across the ice to the base of the mountain.

Onestep