More Beaudry Bushwhacks

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

onestep

Reaction score
Over the weekend Pig Pen and I spent 2 days bushwhacking 3k peaks up on the Beaudry Road in Maine. On Sunday Gamehiker joined us too. We managed to leave tracks in the snow on Sunday.

#5, #6, & Crispo Peak
Friday evening I drove up to the Maine Roadhouse in Stratton to meet Pig Pen. The following morning we headed out to “the Beaudry” to ‘whack 5/6/Crispo. We spotted a car south of Crispo Peak – 3011’ and then drove over to the start of the “hiking trail” that leads up Number 5 Mtn – 3186’. We started hiking at 9AM. The trail up #5 is rough, wet, and not marked very well, but easy enough to follow. It took us an hour to reach the summit and its firetower. Great VFTT !!

The ‘whack over to Number 6 Mtn – 3315’ was straight forward and pretty easy. The woods where open for the most part. Once past the col we where faced with a route choice… do we ascent the scree slope to our right or attempt to work our way around the cliffs on our left. I guess we where up for a rock climb.

Once atop the steep cliffy area we came upon a cairn and another terrific view! From there is was a short whack over to the ever elusive jar. We came upon it rather easily. It was empty except for an inch or two of water! We replaced the jar and donated a spare map for use as the register.

The whack down to the col with Crispo peak was, well, to say the least difficult. Thick and scrappy would sum it up. What was amazing was we found in the middle of this mess a pile of fiberglass insulation! It didn’t look very old and it wasn’t scattered all about. If it’s yours and you lost it… well it must have a good story behind it!!

From the col up to Crispo peak was through mostly open woods… but then again, compared to what we just went through anything would seem better. We found the jar with no problem. The normal list of suspects have signed the log since Dennis Crispo placed it in 1988.

All that remained was to find out way back to the car we spotted. It was rough, steep, and
mostly thick until we reached a very pretty little pond south of the peak. From there to the car the woods opened up and the going was easy. We reached the car at 4:30, 7-1/2 hours from when we started our hike. Pictures HERE

Merrill, and Van Dyke
The next morning Gamehiker met us at the Stratton Diner for breakfast. From there the 3 of us drove out to “the Beaudry”, this time to do Merrill – 3330’ and Van Dyke – 3190’. We navigated a series of logging roads till we found ourselves just to the east of these 2 peaks. We started off for Merrill first. It was colder this morning than yesterday. The upper elevations received a dusting of snow last night.

Our route took us thorough open woods all the way to the jar atop Merrill! Easy-Breezy. We didn’t linger long at the summit though as we all where “loosing core” quickly. The descent to the col was again easy along a ridge with mostly open woods. The ascent from the col to the summit of Van Dyke though was difficult. We worked our way as best we could up through the thick stuff. Near the summit the woods thinned out enough for Phil to spot the jar from a hundred yards away! (well, maybe it wasn’t that far but I’ve never seen anyone spot a jar from anywhere near the distance he did). If there’s a long distance jar spotting record, Phil holds it.

We bundled up with all the layers we had and kicked back for lunch.

Initially the descent started out thick but soon the woods opened up and we cruised back down to the car, spotting a pair of moose along the way. All in all a most enjoyable bushwhack! Pictures HERE

Onestep

Very fun weekend, I have to say that the 5/6/Crispo whack will go down as one of my favorites. There was some scrambling, views, route choices (other than going where the compass points), and mysteries (the aforementioned fiberglass insulation, old cables and insulators in the middle of nowhere). And of course good company. A little of everything. However the the ridge near the top of No 6 su%#ed... Oops, I meant to say that it was a challenging and character building wilderness experience.

I am looking forward to more trips to "The Beaudry".

PS: I think Merrill was imported from Vermont, it was a fernwhack all the way. Van Dyke however seems to be a native of Maine.

Last edited:
Kurt, is the tower on No. 5 still safe to climb? Nice report and pics. The No. 6/Crispo col is still fresh in my mind, along with a scar on my shin!

dms said:
Kurt, is the tower on No. 5 still safe to climb?

The cab does not have a floor, but you can climb to the top. It seemed to be in pretty good shape.

Phil S

Thanks for the great photos and bushwhack stories of memories past (for some of us!). It's nice to see so many present day climbers going after these off the beaten track treasures. There's a number of gems with good view points amidst all the scrap as well.

Pig Pen said:
old cables and insulators in the middle of nowhere
The trail to the #5 firetower ran up the valley between them, then swung E to the summit, that is how I climbed them the first time. By the second time it had grown up and I used a route similar to yours in reverse. The present trail up #5 is a woods road improved by snowmobilers.

I keep wondering where Van Dyke got its name. Was it named after Dick or Jerry? :D

Note to Papa Bear: we found an object that you would be interested in on top of Van Dyke. Can't remember exactly what it said and Kurt didn't get a picture so I guess you'll have to go check it out for yourself. :D

Also does anyone have info on the Van Dyke cabin at the bottom of the mountain. One register entry mentioned staying the night there.

All in all an enjoyable time with good company.
Gamehiker

Gamehiker said:
Note to Papa Bear: we found an object that you would be interested in on top of Van Dyke. Can't remember exactly what it said and Kurt didn't get a picture so I guess you'll have to go check it out for yourself. :D
Gamehiker
Hi Gamehiker

There is what is commonly called a benchmark on Van Dyke. If it was a small metal disk mounted in a rock it would look something like this (this one was found on Layton):

July_14_2006_084155.thumb.jpg

the description of the surveyors who put it there in 1915 is as follows:
QH0273'DESCRIBED BY INTERNATIONAL BOUNDARY COMMISSION 1915 (JH)
QH0273'IN TOWNSHIP 7, RANGE 2, ON THE TOP OF VAN DYKE MOUNTAIN WHICH IS THE
QH0273'HIGHEST CONE ABOUT 2 MILES WEST OF LOWELLTOWN, ME, AND BETWEEN
QH0273'MERRILL AND MILL BROOKS. THE STATION IS ON THE WEST EDGE OF THE
QH0273'TOP.
QH0273'
QH0273'STATION MARK--A BRONZE DISK CEMENTED IN A DRILL HOLE IN ROCK.
If you saw something like that, that's what I'm interested in.

But ... there's also one on Merrill:
QH0277'DESCRIBED BY INTERNATIONAL BOUNDARY COMMISSION 1915 (JH)
QH0277'IN TOWNSHIP 7, RANGE 2, ON THE HIGH MOUNTAIN, ABOUT 1-1/4 MILES
QH0277'SOUTH - SOUTHEAST OF VAN DYKE MOUNTAIN AND ONE - HALF MILE EAST OF
QH0277'MONUMENT 407, AND NORTH OF THE SOURCE OF MERRILL BROOK. THE STATION
QH0277'IS ON THE NORTHEAST END OF THE TOP OF THE MOUNTAIN AND ABOUT
QH0277'ONE - FOURTH MILE FROM THE NEAREST POINT OF THE BOUNDARY.
QH0277'
QH0277'STATION MARK--A BRONZE DISK CEMENTED IN A DRILL HOLE IN AN 80 - POUND
QH0277'ROCK WITH LOOSE ROCKS PILED AROUND IT.
Obviously I need to find that one too, and I guess you didn't see it. Did you see a pile of rocks (a not uncommon sight in Maine :))?

There are a number of these in the area near the border. That's what I was looking for on Rump last Saturday, but did not find it. But luckily while you were dodging arrows on Saddle Hill last Sunday, I did find the ones on Salmon and Trumbull.

[Edit: picture was from Layton, not Smart]

Last edited:
Onestep, thank you for the trip report. Van Dyke and Merrill look very well into the woods and not very close to good roads, at least according to Delorme. How close were you guys able to park to these peaks? In what condition were the roads once you departed Beaudry Road?

Nate said:
Onestep, thank you for the trip report. Van Dyke and Merrill look very well into the woods and not very close to good roads, at least according to Delorme. How close were you guys able to park to these peaks? In what condition were the roads once you departed Beaudry Road?

Hi Nate
We where able to drive my Ford Taurus to within 1.2 miles of the summits. The 2006 Delorme shows these double-dash roads (my older edition does not). The last mile or so had a few tricky spots but any sedan could navigate them with caution. I never hit bottom...

Onestep