Beacon rescue

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Explorer Editor

Reaction score
We have finally posted on our Web site the story on the Ohio man rescued twice by Army helicopter from the Five Ponds Wilderness. It includes a photo he took of the frozen river.

Just click beacon rescue

“They suggested that I should be walking out of the woods with wet boots in subfreezing temperatures,” he said. “I didn’t think that was a prudent thing to do.”

:rolleyes:

Buck up Skalak fer Crissakes.

Thanks for posting the story link, Ex Ed.

Will you be covering Skalak's court appearance, which is scheduled for later this month (Jan 20, last I knew), and posting a followup here?

G.

You're welcome, Grumpy. I'm trying to find out what's supposed to take place at the Jan. 20 court appearance. Whether I go or not will depend on what I find out. But we'll follow up one way or the other.

Phil,

Thanks again for providing this info. I read your well written and researched article in your most recent edition.

Although I have made my opinions (too) clear on this subject, I greatly appreciate your effort in reporting this story. The information is valuable to all of us, no matter our position in regard to Mr. Skalak's judgement or lack thereof.

To Grumpy's request, I look forward to your continued reporting of this matter if you can manage it.

Thanks for the link. The guy might not be too smart in the woods but he takes a good picture. Maybe the courts should insist on getting any money he ever makes with his 'documentation of the rescue'.

.... He now contemplated the risks of bushwhacking back to his truck. Because he was unsure whether he could find the old logging road as easily as he found the river, he thought he might have to bivouac in the woods, probably in subfreezing temperatures. He didn’t want to attempt the trip in wet clothing and wet boots.

Hmmmm ..... I have a problem with this....

It didn't seem to bother Skalak to walk INTO THE WOODS and CONTINUE WALKING IN THE WOODS for 5 hours in soaking wet boots and clothing when he thought he could retrieve his canoe!!

Wet clothes

I imagine that "box of rice" came prehydrated?.......... no?........ so, then, did he have matches and/or a stove, so he can boil water?....... if he could make fire, why not make the kind of fire that dries boots and pants?

sounds like this thread belongs to the thread titled "stupid people"....

the wall..........

Isn't this bizarre?

Here's a quote from an article (linked below) dated Dec. 1, 2003:

The Cuyahoga Community College administrator plans to return to the park this weekend to recover his canoe and other gear, though he doubts he’ll need to activate his beacon again.
“What do you think the chances are I’d pull that switch again unless I was inches away from death?” Skalak said. “I don’t mind being first, but I sure don’t want to be doing this two times in a row.”

http://www.mansfieldnewsjournal.com/news/updates/2464.html