Teen Spike Crews

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Puck

Reaction score
I am looking into the AMC Teen spike crews for my son Gorpburp. Does anyone have any experience with these programs? They run frequently throughout the summer and are one week duration.

He is a bit apprehensive and I don't know why. He understands the need to give back and to be a steward of the environment.

He has seen the movies "Oh Brother Where art Thou?" and "Cool Hand Luke." He may have visions of working on a chain gang builiding bog bridges while singing "Po' Lazarus." I told him for his age group that it will be work but nothing like a penal sentance of hard labor. I think it should be a lot of fun.

So what we have here is a failure to communicate. I am hoping that at the 4K banquet he will be inspired.

Please share any words of enlightenment...

Thanks

My wife was part of at least one, and maybe several. She has very fond memories of the experience and even got to have a full-page glossy picture of her appear Outdoors. The photographer said she was picked b/c of the nice contrast of her yellow rain jacket and blue rain pants. But I know better - it's because she is the cutest...

<<<<<<<<<<<<

Spencer

spencer said:
But I know better - it's because she is the cutest...
And just before Valentine's Day.... well done Spencer. :D

Back to trail work......
Puck,
Though I never worked for the AMC, I spent a few summers working as a volunteer at Mt. Monadnock building cairns on the Pumpelly ridge and clearing brush.
It was (in order of importance for a teen):
A nice place to meet girls (2nd most climbed mountain in the world).
A great way to get a tan.
A great way to build some muscle.
Looks really good on a college application (well rounded, team player, yadda yadda).

I think he would have a blast, but then again my wife still can't figure out why I hike in the rain so who knows. He may meet some life-long friends, but at the very least he'll climb that trail years from now and say "I built that!"

I once stayed at Crag camp with an RMC trail crew and their dog - they were some of the coolest dudes I ever met and part of the reason I started volunteering.