Ankle Pain > Blister

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

yates

Reaction score
Looking for a solution for intense pain on inner ankle, while cross-country skiing ("Rugged Touring") in Karhu Telemark style boots. After 20 minutes, pain is distressing enough to make me stop. Would probably develop into a blister if I'd continue, although it seems more like a pressure sensation than a rubbing sensation. That makes me wish for a way to relieve pressure on the spot, rather than apply a shearforce -absorbing gel pad that will take up space and increase the pressure. Maybe some structural modification to the boot lining at that point, like taking out some material at the ankle contact point? I don't like the idea of opening up the boot lining too much. And, I'd rather not loosen the buckles because otherwise the fit is good. Has anyone else found a creative fix to this problem? Thanks

Last edited:
I don't know if this will help but I had a pair of new boots once and was up skiing at Sugarbush, Vt.
I developed the same type of severe ankle pain to the point where I spent one afternoon skiing with my boot unbuckled. ( Not recommended.) In desperation I went down to a ski shop and they fixed it. It was so simple. They just added a little padding in just the right places (not where I thought I needed padding), and the problem was instantly gone.
I don't know how close you are to a very good ski shop with reputable techs but I bet they could help you out.
I also heard that ski areas now hire "pedorthists" who could help you out. Not sure if there are any around this area but I am told it's the up and coming thing. I go to one in Northampton and would not be walking if I didn't know this guy.
Very often all you really need is a minor adjustment in the exact right place.
Good luck!