The Beaudry Six Pack and around the Rounds 6/30-7/1

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Gamehiker

Reaction score
Mark did a trail conditions report on our trip but I will add some observations here.

Day 1

Mark, Phil, Dave and myself met in Stratton at 7 AM and took all 4 cars up to the West Branch Road. Our plan was to camp Sat. night but all the good sites were taken. So we drove in the West Branch Road 1.8 Miles and parked. The bridge there is badly washed out and prevents further passage by ordinary 2WD vehicles. We walked up the road until we closed in on "West Bump" and took off thru semi-open woods until the swath and Monument 410 was reached. As soon as we reached the summit the clouds closed in and a light rain began to fall. The remains of the jar here were on the ground so we put up our one replacement jar on the U.S. side of the swath. As soon as we left the summit the rain stopped and by the time we reached the col the sun was out. This scenario would repeat itself for the next 3 summits. Get to the summit, put the rain gear on, go down to the col and take it off.

On the next summit "Bump" we found the jar upright on a tree stump and full of water so we drained it and hung it on one of the smaller trees on the mostly open summit. From here on all the jars were intact and dry. On to "East Bump" our highpoint of the day at 3447'. The Bumps were quite open with fairly shallow cols.

From East Bump over to West Smart or Layton was the deepest col of the day. The climb up West Smart was quite steep and rather thick. From there we contoured over to Smart avoiding the top of the ridge. Smart was the first peak that the rain gear stayed in the pack. Then it was off to Moose to complete the six pack. We came down to the col on the North side of the ridge and found a old clear cut now growing up into hobble maples and raspberries. It did rain on us a little here. The open area gave us great views of the scree slopes on Moose and a route to the left that would avoid them. A short open climb brought us to the summit. On the way down we climbed down a scree slope for a short distance- a fun challenge.

We were back to our cars by 5:30. Six peaks in 9 hours. Instead of camping we roughed it out at the Roadhouse, we were the only ones there.

Day 2

Up early and on the trail by 7. No rain issues today. We drove in to the parking area for COP Snow and were going to Bag Pond Mtn. first but decided to spot a car down by the gate at Round Mtn Pond and do the Rounds first. Good decision!

We started on the Snow Mtn Trail and took a left on an ATV road just before Snow Mtn Pond. At this road highpoint we headed in to the woods for the short climb to North Round. This was the "find the jar in the blowdowns "summit. Actually Onestep and Jim C found it last year and hung it but it still was in a mess of blowdowns. Then the trip got interesting following the ridge over and around 2 false summits over to Middle Round where there were decent views to the North and West. The descent off Middle Round was way steep until the col and the climb up to East Round wasn't so steep but the summit was quite thick and scrappy.

The way down to the car was long and somewhat confusing further complicated by yours truly falling and banging up my shin pretty good. When we finally reached the car we all decided to leave Bag Pond as a straggler.
But hey, 9 peaks in 2 days with good company and no major mishaps.

Gamehiker-Jim

Great trip report Jim!
You guy's rock! (and whack, and thrash)... "who needs a stinkin trail?!" :D :D :D

Last edited:
Nice TR !

All I hear about lately are those damn Beaudrys, what's up there :D ?

Thanks for writing a great trip report, Gamehiker! ... I couldn't summon the energy after my 2:30 AM wake-up call to begin the weekend.

What's in the Beaudry, my friend? ...nothing but mountains, streams, critters and dirt roads !!! Almost 10% of the 451 NE 3000 fters are in this amazing area; substantially more than that if one includes surrounding peaks such as Sandy Bay, the Boundary Balds, the Coburns, and the dozen or so North of the Rangely/Stratton/Eustis area.