Couch, Panther 3/15

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MtLady

Reaction score
The day started at 6:00a.m. In with headlamps and a nice trail broken half way to Time Square by a gentleman from Vermont. We thanked him and offered to break trail the rest of the way up. I noticed I was having trouble breathing but kept plugging away but slowing us down. BigD and company caught up with us and offered to break trail to Couch and we certaily didn't refuse. My thanks to them.
I had asked Dave on the ride up what a Spruce trap was and he kindly explained it to me. I never dreamed that we would find so many. Dave was up to his waist at one time and I wasn't sure he would get out. After digging and digging, he broke his snowshoes loose and climbed out. We continued fighting off the snow covered trees. Poor Dave, towering over me by about a foot, had his own battle with every branch reaching out to grab him, jab him and not let go of his pack. Not sure of the condition of that but maybe time to retire it? When we reached Couch, drenched, we realized that we had lost a water bottle and that my water was almost gone. We ventured back fighting trees and broken branches all the way and then to Panther which was a pleasant surprise after what we had just endured. With no water left we decided to head on down. Dave filtered water as soon as we could get to it. Cossing the bridge in the dark was tricky. Just wide enough for our snowshoes, we held our breath and crossed.
We returned to the car at 8:20pm. Drove through the small lakes that had appeared in the middle of the road. Stopped and enjoyed a nice cold beer and a toast that we would NEVER RETURN TO COUCH ever, ever again.

[email protected]