Bemis Mt. Peaks 1 and 2 and beyond via AT

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

marty

Reaction score
Date: May 10

Conditions: dry below 2,200 feet. Snow above that level, except in areas that get lots of sun. Depths up to 2 feet plus, particularly in the col between Peak 1 and 2. Water from the melting snow was rushing down the trail in spots with deep ponds in the low points. Upper ledges were all snow free.

Special Equipment Required: Waterproof boots and high gaiters. I wore low gaiters, which were not sufficient for the deep postholing and bushwhacking around the aforementioned ponds :(

Comments: Definitely a struggle on this hike due to the conditions. Went down into the col between second and third peak and decided to turn around. The snow was a bit deeper than expected, given that the elevation did not exceed 2,923 feet. Aside from that, the weather was great and the views were fantastic. I love this hike! Also did a minor bushwhack west and northwest of the Peak 2 summit and found great views and some abandoned orange trail blazes on rocks :cool: :confused: .

Marty

Last edited: