Bald Knob (Ossipee Range) via Multiple Routes - 11/23/08

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tobit

Reaction score
Date of Hike: 11/23/2008

Special Equipment Required: None - Poles would have helped me descend the steep Bald Knob Trail easier.

Conditions:

Shannon Brook Trail to Bald Knob Cutoff - No issues at all, nice and clear.

Bald Knob Cutoff to Bald Knob Trail - No issues, one minor blow down but easy to step over. Some standing water in spots have frozen over but easy to pass without going off trail.

Bald Knob Trail @ Cutoff to Summit - No issues, very dry.

Bald Knob Trail @ Summit to Route 171 - Icy areas up high with dense leaf coverage over most of the trail. Watch your step as there is ice under some of the leaves as I found out. Normal late fall stuff for experienced hikers but newbies like myself should take note.

Comments:

Shannon Brook, Bald Knob Cutoff, and the Bald Knob Trail beyond the summit (between the summit and Turtleback Mountain Trail) are all like carriage road trails and not very rocky at all. However, the Bald Knob Trail at the trailhead to the summit is very steep, rocky, and, at this time of year, covered in leaves. If you plan on heading directly to the summit of Bald Knob from the trailhead at the Moultonboro/Tuftonboro town lines, you want a very sturdy boot in my opinion.

Me: JT Croteau (Tobit)
email: [email protected]

Last edited: