Washington via Jewell and other routes

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
U

Unregistered

The trail was icy/crusty snow all the way up to where the rocks dominate, perfect for microspikes. After that it and the rest of the hike up was ice, crusty ice and rock which was okay with microspikes, but at times some care was needed. No problem crossings or blowdowns; very minor postholes from days previous. I went up on Clay and then after a stint on Gulfside pretty much just meandered around on the Washington snowfields until I hit the top. The might tough little dog went everywhere without a problem. Fantastic views everywhere. After seeing only 3 people on the way up, I was amazed at the crowd on top. I would say light and heavy duty crampons were overwhelmingly the choice of those on top, with some microspikes, stabilizers and snowshoes added in. Many had come up Ammo. However, it was clear that low rider four paw drive with claws was the fastest and safest method to get around.

Some wind at the top but with a little shelter from the wind and the sun, people were leisurely eating their lunches. On the hike down the sun was softening the ice up high just a bit, which helped with the microspikes on the icy slopes, since they could use a couple more spikes on the heel. Further down the sun had softened the snow which allowed bare booters to hike up to the rocks. No posthole problems even low, at least through early afternoon.

I've been on Washington in February with near perfect conditions, but it is a rare day indeed to be better than today, and the trails are fast. Get out early tomorrow if you haven't hiked today.