RainTomRainFieldRainWilleyRainRain Friday, July 24

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

--M.

Reaction score
But a great day anyway.

Everything was passable, with the usual mudholes. For the most part, we could either tromp through or pick stones & branches for a treadway. Never got the whole-boot-under thing.

The high cols are also beautiful, but don't count steps or miles or PUDs, or else you'll miss the value. For all that, the next peaks come along purty reg'lar, no problem.

In the mess, though, the views were missing, and, as it was my third time to Willey in the last year, I knew the Pemi interior beckoned, just to the right, all day long! We did have some cool undercast floaters when we reached Willey, and I could see the road/rail line, realizing I had become turned around looking for the landmarks. Once past the top of Willey, though, it became all business, as the descent was WET. I didn't mind the steepness last December and February, as there was adequate purchase (albeit the second time had a freshly-glazed butt-slid chute), but this time was slippery, and therefore more time-consuming.

The trails to Tom have some beautiful stonework. The descent from Willey has some incredible engineering (both stone and ladders), and cleared blowdowns that were unpleasant crawl-unders last time, and some serious erosion to go with it all.

The Ethan Pond Trail is always a joy, no matter where or when, and it was all good yesterday, too, despite the break-in on my new boots being a bit rough on the heels. Good choice for their inaugural hike? We'll see.

The rain abated long enough for a couple photos and even a dry dressing room/lounge after the hike (a couple minivans & a cooler). Inasmuch as this was supposed to be a Tripyramids hike, I was glad to get out anyway ("Mohamed's Rule," I call it), glad to tag two new peaks, glad to have quality time with a friend, glad to pay weather dues.

Off to the DAKs for the next round, then a leaf-peeper in September: happy to still get out there.

--Mike.