DIX For summer 46-R 3/18/10

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Viewseeker

Reaction score
DIX
3/18/10
A NEW 46-R

Adirobdack46rs pics

My pics

Today marks a 4 year journey in which I have met many wonderful people that have made me me in the ADKs. It started out just as a “hey you wanna do this adk hike; we are going to Wright, Ok”. Then the next year was one more, then I was hooked and planning the 3rd yr to which I did 20, many with friends and a few solo. So many good times of which you all know and remember. Today ends this portion of an accomplishment and opens the door for many more.
After many plans and replans I was confused but eager to finish. Finally it all came together when some time opened up at work and then it fell into place like it was meant to be. You see, this guy Robert whom we shall call adirobdack46r, was the leader of this Hospital hike that I was part of on my first. We soon became friends and found myself consumed with planning and hiking “whats next” with him. Soon I meet many other people like 1adam12, john K, Seth, Andy, etc. all from this forum. Peak bagging this “list”, and being drawn in more and more as I first said winter, Hahahahahahah, that’s nuts. So it started with one to test the waters and another and another with one ending with only one peak, Colvin and headed to Blake which was all Ice on the way down the Col. And me saying,lol, “I’m not into this”. Then it was what it was, just kept going. Now today I end with 46 having done 11 in winter mostly the last year. And so hear is my story of my ADK 46-r finish….:)
Robert, myself and a friend from home, Jay who never has done a high peak took Thursday off and drove to cobblestone for the night Wednesday. Got there later but that was ok cause this was not to be a 4am start. Up at 5:30am coffee and we are off for Round Pond. Dix, 6.5 miles. This summer I had been turned around in the heat, humidity and just not feeling well on this peak, today was not the same. Cool temps rising into the 40s’ with clear skies proved to be the day of a great Finish. I must first give Jay a hats off for just saying yes and taking the time off, I respect that as he said he’d go months ago not knowing what hes getting into..:) Signed in 7:15am and shoed up. Snow was ok at first until the right side of Round Pond which was melted. Booted for a bit around it and then back in action. We made good time enjoying the time. Robert was like on a mission way out in front. Jay was holding his own. After a few times of wondering if he could make it, we got onto flatter ground and We all got to the Lean-to. Had some well deserved rest, food and drink. Adding this in also that the river crossing is just fine so far with one small hole but down stream there is open water and melting snow so hurry if you can before it washes out.
Getting within 10 minutes of the base of the slide Jay calls it, 5.5 miles, worried about getting back and is feeling the burn. So plans made to meet back at the lean-to or truck and I’m off to catch Robert which I find shortly gearing up at the base of the slide which is just breathtaking. So here is where it gets to be like Robert… I went up that slide once on the right; let’s do the left side which goes much higher and wack from there to the trail… OK…lol At first its not bad, on set of tracks going into the trail down low and another 300ft higher coming down, same person I’m sure which I think is Cliff something. Let me tell you, the views up that slide where great. Traction in my new Denali Evos is keeping straight and going up. What a great day on this slide I’m thinking. Then we hit the left side and it’s much steeper. Thanks God for the traction beneath my feet. Slow going with having to backup a few times where I couldn’t get up from the snow undermining with worries of slipping or falling over backwards. After 1.5 hours I have reached the top op it Whoot!! The most insane but heart pumping scramble at times wondering if I slip I could tumble and Die feelings.
Now Bye GPS we are very close to the summit. Bushwhack up thru some tight spruce then it opens some and finally I see the trail, hang a left and make my way to the Peak where Robert Is waiting.
Finally I’m on the last Of the 46, Dix. The 360 views just eye candy. A big congrats and hug from Robert my emotions open and get a little teary eyed if you know what I mean. WOW, years of hard work and pleasure and I can finally be part of the few. I am now a 46-r. Pictures and the honorary Patch now we can enjoy this warm but breezy summit on this March day which must have been 50. Back on whiteface during the Gathering weekend I had Robert take a picture which I posed like the guys that drink Captain Morgan’s Rum, well this is what he had brought up and we posed once again while drinking Spiced Rum, how awesome… Robert had joked just at the top of the slide that he was trying to make this day memorable being funny about such a steep and tactical climb well He made the whole day that which I’ll never forget and look back on. So after 1 hour or so we packed it up and headed down. This is also where I just followed along again in saying, “oh, sure lets do that”!!
Headed back we had decided to go back same way down via the slide. Well butt Slide is almost not enough to call it. 1.5 hours up the slide, 20 minutes to the summit, summit to top of slide 7 minutes, top of slide to base of slide 12 minutes..That’s right 12 minutes..OMG fast and at times just on the verge of out-of-control fun..No sled needed. WOW wish we had video of that. Now its time to make time and high tail it back to lean-to where Jay had left for the truck. Finding many Notes in the snow with arrows and times was good knowing he was on the right path and safe. Coming back around round pond was again muddy and took shoes off and barebooted some. Finally back at the car, 5:15pm.
Thanks to everyone I have every meet within this forum or not. You all make it such a great experience and fun time. Not sure how to end this so I’ll just say Hello, I’m Rob, Viewseeker, the latest 46-R..:) :D

Last edited:
What an absolute joy it was to share my best friend Rob's (viewseeker) finishing day with him on such a wonderfully clear and warm day. Like he said in his trip report, his first high peak was when he tagged along on a hospital hike I put together where I work. So I'd like to think I had a part in planting the seed that allowed him to grow in to a 46R :)

A HUGE CONGRATS to you on your finish, Rob!!! It has been fun following your journey, and I'm glad that it ended so nicely (though in a way it's just the beginning of the next adventure). Good luck with your future endeavors, and great job on completing this trip!

What an absolute joy it was to share my best friend Rob's (viewseeker) finishing day with him on such a wonderfully clear and warm day. Like he said in his trip report, his first high peak was when he tagged along on a hospital hike I put together where I work. So I'd like to think I had a part in planting the seed that allowed him to grow in to a 46R :)

You where the seed man.. and thank you, i totally enjoy it :D

A HUGE CONGRATS to you on your finish, Rob!!! It has been fun following your journey, and I'm glad that it ended so nicely (though in a way it's just the beginning of the next adventure). Good luck with your future endeavors, and great job on completing this trip!

Tyler, your right, just the beginning...someday soon we will get a winter in too..:D