Giant-Rocky Peak traverse - VFTT & ADK High Peaks board joint trip?

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Peakbagr

Reaction score
A couple of us are planning to do the Giant-Rocky Peak traverse starting at the Giant Ridge Trail on rte 73. Is there interest in a few more joining us for a party up to 10 or 12 in mid-October, perhaps Columbus Day Saturday.

We discussed doing it in foliage season until my buddy pointed out that with all the ridge walking, you really do have better views right after the leaves are down.
We could all meet for a bite and beverages someplace near E'town afterward.
I also posted this on on ADKHighPeaks board as well.
Any interest?

Been wanting to do that loop for awhile.

I think we'd actually be pretty interested. Although, A sunday might be a better day for us, due to my expected work schedule for October. We do plan on getting up at least twice in Oct.

Keep us informed. Then again, we are a group of 4 so that might overinflate the size of the group to too large. It's those pesky kids, if only we could dump em off somewhere . :rolleyes:

I posting this on my site too.

Excuse me, but when exactly is Columbus day? Canadian Thanksgiving is Oct. 9-11 and is out for me. I've been wanting to do this traverse for a while and was hoping for Rocky to be our 46th this fall but have yet to crack the 30 barrier ( those pesky repeats!) If the trip takes place on the following w/end I'd love to participate and bring my wife and one of my kids. Hiking, fall colours, family, making friends. Who could ask for more?

Edit: Just figured it out. Like the post says C. Day is the same w/end as the Canadian Thanksgiving. So I can't make it. It wasn't intended to be a large group in any case so get in there Mavs!

Last edited:
This is one on our "do-over" list, as we had zero views at the top when we did it the first time. If only it were on a different weekend!

Tim and Dick,

Columbus Day weekend is not a certainty. The idea is to do this after the leaves are down so that the wooded sections of the ridge provide views. We can move it up or back a Saturday depending on conditions and weather.

PB

The 2nd or 3rd of October would work just fine. Unfortunately, it turns out that I can't do the 9th or the 16th, but I could do the 23rd of October. Don't know if that fits in with your plans, though.

giant/rocky peak

I would love to do that traverse at that time of the year..keep us informed

Giant-Rocky Peak next weekend

Planning on going next Saturday(10/9), with Sunday(10/10) as the back up date.
Drop car(s) in New Russia, drive over to Giant Ridge trailhead and traverse the ridge. Probably meeting time in Clifton Park 6am, and depart the Giant Ridge Trail trailhead around 8:15 to 8:30am.

giant..rocky peak

Just so that i am sure... I could meet you people at 8H15 in the parking lot (the one on the other side of road 73 where the ausable club is) and we would have cars to bring us back to that parking at the end of the trail...? I will be leaving from montreal early that morning so i would not have the time to meet people before (at 6)