"Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy."

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TDawg

Reaction score
I love backpacking, and I love beer. But, those damn 18 (30? ;)) packs of cans weigh too freakin' much!! And, ever had a can explode on you? I'd rather smell like sweat than stale beer an entire trip. :)

Pat's Backcountry Beer

Maine Outdoor Journal

Sounds like there's still a few kinks to work out, but I like where this is headed!

Last edited:
Backcountry beverage

I like a cold lager at the end of a hike as much as the next person, especially if supper soon follows. However, the weight and volume of beer are indeed a problem. Thankfully, it was solved a few centuries ago when the Celts developed distilling, a science which has reached its highest and most exquisite examples north of the Highland Line. Thus, my friends and I do not lack for refreshment on or off the trail, preferring a little peat as in Bowmore, or a lot as in McClelland's Islay, though some are venturing as far afield as Scapa Flow or even Strath Spey with its amazing variety within easy staggering range of each other. Proof that God looks after fools and drunks... the hard part is to remember to toast in the Gaelic, mo caraid a beinnan...

Slainte a Dia, agus slainte a duibh uile gu leor.

I hiked the Pemi Loop a few years ago as an overnight trek. I met some dude at the Garfield tenting area that was an ultra light hiker. To keep his weight down, he carried vodka and fruit drink mixes like crystal light or kool-aid and mixed it with the vodka. One of the coolest guys ever to meet at around 4,000 feet. I generally dont booze and hike, but yeah, i cant pass up a free drink or two.