Edmands Path Trail Work, Monroe, Washington May 30; 2011

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

una_dogger

Reaction score
Who: Eric Rathbun, Forestgnome, Madison the Traildog, Una_dogger

Where: Edmands Path, Crawford Path, Jewell Trail.

We met up today to clear blowdowns from the Edmands Path -- we had gotten some info from various folks over the past few weeks regarding blowdowns cleared and still standing.

Our first task was within 1/4 mile of the trailhead. With our trusty 18" handsaw, small hatchet, and Government Saw, we went to work on this bad boy.

ry%3D480

Within moments, it became clear that our Government Saw was going to "keep us down", so it remained in the pack all day and we took shifts with Eric's trusty tools.

Madison carefully supervised while the guys rolled this big log out of the trail...

ry%3D480

Pumped up on logger's high, we made quick work down the trail looking for more saw booty.

We were not disappointed.

Here, Eric demonstrates the improper technique for clearing blowdown at eye level. Thank You Eric for showing us all how to be safe. :)

ry%3D480

This next section had been left by previous crews, but we felt compelled to clear it and restore the amazing stonework along this section of trail.

ry%3D480

All clear!
ry%3D480

We filled a few holes, brushed a few limbs, and took out a few leaners. All in all we spent an additional 2.5 hours on the way up to treeline tidying up the place.

We were pretty sad when we reached treeline, until we saw the diapensia and lapland rosebay in full bloom!

ry%3D480

It feels really good to be a trail adopter and spend part of your hike gettin' dirty and gettin' work done!

ry%3D480

ry%3D480

It was a bluebird afternoon, so we headed over Monroe and Washington and down Jewell. Thanks to Forestgnome and Eric for helping me out today -- I couldn't have accomplished so much in such a short time without you guys!

ry%3D480

If the USFS Jewell Trail adopter is on this forum, please shoot me a message -- I've got some info for you. ;-)

Happy Trails!

Last edited:
Nice work and thank you. Edmands is a great route, so cheers.

I believe we passed you guys juuuust below the Monroe summit. I was in a blue cut-off and Becky had a pink T. Madison sure is a good traildog, welcoming us to the summit area with a wagging tail and gladly taking our "pets."

Our route was similar to yours, up and over Washington, but via Ammo and down Gulfside/Jewell. What a great day out!

Yup! I remember you! Now that I can put a face to a name, next time I will introduce myself ;-)

Maddie is a great dog! My own dog was nursing a paw injury and couldn't join us :-(

Great day above treeline!

Thanks Sabrina, Eric and Patrick (and Madison of course). I always have to take my hat off to the people that are out there doing trail maintenance and making the joy of the mountains available to everyone. Looks like a pretty spectacular day to boot. Good thing that you guys spent the rest of the weekend resting up to prepare for your day of log jamming yesterday ;)