Sno-Capped Kinsmen!

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Becca M

Reaction score
April 24, 2012: Mark T (Silverfox) and I had a GREAT time on the Kinmans (Kinsmen?):

The forecast was a little iffy and we expected a few showers. We figured we were going to get WET! Nope! No rain for us: instead, at elevation (around 30F) - frozen precip! But, so pretty! We had decent views tho it was blustery at times. I ended up using the winter mitts and a LOT of layers. Although there was enough ice for micros (which Mark wore), the traction wasn't too bad to go without. We never really saw much of a monorail. On the descent, the sun poked through a few times. Mark noted that the only real rain was between the C-Man in Ashland and the C-Man parking lot for post-hike provisions. ;)

Here is Mark reenacting the major water crossing - I missed his foot getting wet the first time!!!!
P1000794-markinstream.jpg

A little bit of ice on the trail - could have been slippery!
P1000800-beccaonice.jpg

Here's the money shot of Mark on the ice:
P1000807-markonice.jpg

Snow-dusted ridge - here's Mark near the scree wall
P1000816-markonscreewall.jpg

And NOW the actual Sno-Caps before we finished off the box - the inspiration and theme for this hike!
P1000813-snocaps.jpg

Franconia Ridge from *our* ridge (which was much better than *that* ridge over there...)
P1000823-franconiaridge.jpg

On the descent - our gesture of peace for us all:
P1000830-peaceman.jpg

Looking down into the flume - a fun side trip - has anyone ever jumped across? It was deep enough that I didn't want to look in so I leaned my camera over the edge:
P1000831-intotheflume.jpg

And the sun on the waterfall - usually this is a trickle in summer:
P1000834-waterfall.jpg

Hope you enjoy!!!!

Nice report Becca on a very fun day with quite varied conditions

sure felt like January there for awhile with the blowing sleet at times