Dolly Copp Loop (or President Carter Loop)?

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pedxing

Reaction score
A couple years back on a short, amusing thread on alternatives to a Pemi Loop, LRiz posted "Pretty awesome loop that starts and finishes at Dolly Copp Campground. 9 4,000 footers, a little over 33 miles, and ~13,400 gain. Dolly Copp Campground --> Rt 16 --> Imp Trail --> North Carter Trail --> Carter-Moriah Trail up over Middle Carter, South Carter, Height, and Carter Dome --> Wildcat Ridge Trail over Wildcats A and D --> Polecat Ski Trail --> Crew-Cut Trail --> Tuckerman Ravine Trail up over Washington (can also take Huntington Ravine/Nelson Crag Trails for added fun) --> Gulfside Trail --> Clay Loop up Clay --> Jefferson Loop up Jefferson --> Lowe's Path up Adams --> Star Lake (or Airline) --> Osgood to Madison --> Daniel Webster Scout to Dolly Copp."

The idea of that loop or something very similar has kind of stuck with me and grown. I'm starting to plan on doing this later in the summer, building up to it with a South to North Presi traverse in June and a Pemi Loop or two (maybe first without side trips and then with side trips in July). I'd like to hear from people who have done this or have clear ideas about the trails involved. My thought is to stay at Dolly Copp the nights before and after, and to hike it counter clockwise - and going up the Wildcat Trail (though Polecat might make be a welcome alternative, depending on time and the condition of the trail and the hikers). How much harder would this be than the Pemi Loop?

Did this last year as part of 'MMD', went clockwise, the weather was crummy so we went up Lion Head and not Huntington. For me I found it harder than the Pemi Loop, much more elevation gain. I have done a double presi traverse and that was about the same amount of difficulty. It's just a really long day of hiking which if the weather is good makes it a blast, if the weather is sub-par it's... well you know the Presi's so anything can happen up there! Here's my Trip Report if you'd like to read it.

I'd definitely do MMD or a smiliar hike like this on my own again (maybe add Isolation to the mix as well!), I'd just make sure the weather is perfect. It's a great day in the mountains and will really beat you up (in the fun way), have a blast when doing it and enjoy your pemi and presi traverses as well!

Another hike you may want to try and do to build up to this is a Franconia Notch Loop - Up Flume Slide, across Franconia Ridge, down Greenleaf Trail, up Kinsman Ridge Trail over Cannon through the Cannon Balls to North and South Kinsman, then a short backtrack and down Kinsman Pond and Cascade Brook Trails. (around 28 miles and 10,000 feet of elevation gain).

-Chris

Last edited:
Thanks Chris I enjoyed the trip report and some of the other reports as well. Last year, doing the Pemi Loop was a motivator for conditioning and building endurance. This year, this loop is serving as the goal and motivator. I assume you are taking another shot at the Hut to Hut this year? I think that one will be forever beyond me.

Last edited: