The Demented King Loop (8-29-12)

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

natron

Reaction score
Basically I wanted to do a day hike loop that incorporated going up king ravine trail and going up 6 husbands trail.. The hike; = air line, short line, king ravine, gulfside (to madison hut), star lake, buttress, 6 husbands, gulfside, randolph, israel ridge, randolph, amphibranch. The weather was great, sunny, chilly and windy, even sported some fleece gloves and earwarmer/headband with a light shell and hood up above treeline. *Disclaimer* due to the rugged nature and exposure of this loop, I personally wouldn't recommend it to anyone I didn't know. For fear that they might get injured or get in "trouble" or not enjoy it and I'd feel bad if that were to happend.. However IMHO this is a primo loop and for those interested, scrambling skills are needed and prepare for some "maine miles". King ravine being one of my favorite hiking trails in the whites, was a great way to kick off this loop! The biggest surprise to me was, going down the buttress trail, it's actually much harder/tedious than going up. Last year I thought it was a cake walk ascending. Lots of double fall line traversing and uneven/tricky rocks that present more challenges descending.. I preached patience to myself, when I wanted to go fast, plenty of places to get hurt.. There is also 2 tricky down climbs on the buttress, where the rock needs to be dry.. This was my 1st time hiking 6 husbands, the business part.. I've hiked 6 husbands from the knee up quite a few times in the last 4 years when I've connected "the beach" to stealth gully, while snowboarding late season in Jefferson ravine. However this would be my 1st time doing the business part of 6 husbands. The trail build on 6 husbands is sadistic at points where a fall with little to no self arrest potential could/would result in broken bones or death, I loved it! After 6 husbands, it was cruise control on familiar terrain back to the car. Great day and an awesome adventure! Has anyone else ever done this loop? (wouldn't be shocked if this was a 1st) If so please comment, curious on other hikers opinions of this one..

King ravine early foliage season higher up
DSC02461.jpg
[/IMG]

King ravine early foliage season higher up
DSC02483.jpg
[/IMG]

going up..
DSC02488.jpg
[/IMG]

looking back..
DSC02489.jpg
[/IMG]

Awesome rocks in King ravine!
DSC02514.jpg
[/IMG]

closing in..
DSC02519.jpg
[/IMG]

time to refill water at Madison hut and buy a couple of treats!
DSC02522.jpg
[/IMG]

gotta love star lake and Madison!
DSC02524.jpg
[/IMG]

buttress trail views
DSC02528.jpg
[/IMG]

buttress trail views
DSC02531.jpg
[/IMG]

buttress trail views
DSC02530.jpg
[/IMG]

buttress trail views
DSC02535.jpg
[/IMG]

Last edited:
continued

the beginning of 6 husbands business section..
DSC02543.jpg
[/IMG]

vertical ladders!
DSC02561.jpg
[/IMG]

vertical ladders!
DSC02566.jpg
[/IMG]

This ladder was the trickiest, it's out of reach, so you ascend the rock on the left than stretch out for the ladder..
DSC02571.jpg
[/IMG]

looking down from the tricky ladder..
DSC02574.jpg
[/IMG]

Jeff
DSC02593.jpg
[/IMG]

George
DSC02596.jpg
[/IMG]

Finally easy hiking, gulfside trail.
DSC02602.jpg
[/IMG]

Castle ravine
DSC02618.jpg
[/IMG]

Israel ridge trail
DSC02621.jpg
[/IMG]

Randolph trail up high..
DSC02626.jpg
[/IMG]

Randolph trail down low..
DSC02631.jpg
[/IMG]

Last edited:
Nice loop. I did something similar, but different, last year. We went up the Great Gully trail, along Gulfside, down the Sphinx trail, up the Six Husbands trail, back along Gulfside and down Valley Way. We had intended dropping down Chemin des Dames but it was getting late and dark, so just decided on the easy way down.

thanx 4 comments bristlecone and JJ!

bristlecone- should we expect your presence, on your tele's in the prezzis this year?

J&J- I like the sound of your route, next time I will prolly use sphinx as the down connector instead of buttress.. so many loop options in the n.prezzis gotta love it!