Little Wilson Falls and Thompson Brook Falls along AT near Monson ME 11.25.12

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tomcat32

Reaction score
I needed to get out but didn't want to travel far and it was poor visibility with snow showers so this fit the bill.
This is a fairly simple hike in the 100 Mile Wilderness with easy access. The hike starts along an informal trail leading to the AT along Little Wilson Stream passing numerous small cascades. From the AT head south .25 miles or so to reach the falls which are one of the finest on the AT plunging over slate 40 or so feet I think is the height these days. Head north on the AT crossing Little Wilson Str in less than a half mile. The trails ambles over slate cliffs with some views but nothing too spectacular. The trail is mixed woods and very quiet once you cross the stream. About 2.5 miles from the falls the AT hits an old tote road. Turn left on that road for a short distance and hit Thompson Brook. I have never seen Thompson Brook Falls on a map. I think it is more of a place a few locals know about. Bushwack upstream .25-.5 miles and you will here the roar of the falls. They consist of three drops. Overall bigger than Little Wilson Falls but the main drop is not as high. Returning to the AT on the tote road turn right and this will eventually take you to a logging road that gets you back to the trailhead. This hike is about 7 miles total with no huge elevation gain but very pretty with the falls. I've seen moose in this area numerous times too. A good hike on a cloudy day when higher peaks are without views. There was mostly bare ground with snow between the cracks and a few spots with a dusting. LittleWilsonThompsonBr11.25.12 003.jpgLittleWilsonThompsonBr11.25.12 011.jpgLittleWilsonThompsonBr11.25.12 015.jpg
Pic 1 is Little Wilson Falls
pic 2 and 3 are Thompson Brook Falls from different angles