Learning when to listen.

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Breeze

Reaction score
There is a place in Gorham Nh where some people gather. For a few of us, it is our " Cheers", where everybody knows your name, the car you drive, where you 'd prefer to sit, what you want for a beverage, that you will want food, but not right now, because what is really important is catching up with your neighbors. If you don't yet fit the situation,we'll help you feel at home.

I've been friendly for many years with Erwin and Shirley on that bar stool level. We've shared a lot of past history about Sugarloaf and Kingfield and Carrabasset Valley. E and S are 180 degrees polarized from our household politcial beliefs, but everyone gets a chance to speak without being stepped on. Beer and good company can beget good conversation.

So, after 8 + years of sharing space bi weekly with Shirley and her husband, todays discussion turned to the NH SAR boondoggle.

Shirley divulged to me today that her sister Phyllis died of injuries from a fall in Tucks in 1948. That fatality in 1948 is the only one on record for that year , an Phyllis was 16. Memorial day skiing and then lights out. Our conversation was a lot about how rescue worked in the past and what has been learned, how it happens now and where it needs to go.

Yes, you can have a conversation with someone who doesn't want to agree with you. Finding a start page is just a first step.

Sue

Thanks for sharing that. There's much truth in your conclusion.

I see two good conclusions in there:

1. Beer and good company can beget good conversation.
2. you can have a conversation with someone who doesn't want to agree with you.

Life would be an impossible hardship without taking both of these to heart....

"Great spirit, grant that I might not criticize my fellow peak-bagger until I have hiked a mile in his hiking boots".