Little Pond MT X/BC ski 1-20-13 – Woodford, VT

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BobK

Reaction score
With the lack of much new snow to offset recent melting in the ADKs, I headed over to VT to enjoy what turned out to be great snow and a new peak for me. The groomed XC ski area Prospect Mt. (2,200 ft., great trails, 6 miles east of Bennington) reports on new snow & their conditions daily. There is also a “Woodford Snow buster’s” web site with snowmobile trail updates. With the knowledge of more recent snow here than elsewhere and generally colder weather I was optimistic about finding good BC conditions.

There is a fine plowed lot about 2 miles east of Prospect (former downhill lifts) on the N side of the road. It’s only a 1 hr., 10 minute (50 mile) drive from Clifton Park, NY. Given the parking lot elevation of 2,400 ft. there is often good snow here, even with bare ground in Bennington only 6-8 miles west (and 1,600 ft. lower). The first 2 miles in is a Forest Service Rd (#275) often used by snow machines. When the sled trail heads sharp right, there is a small rock barrier and a trail headed north marked with a Wilderness sign. I cheated a bit today in that after ½ mile of skiing, I got a ride to the junction from a sledder I met arriving at the parking lot as I departed (thanks!).

Within 300 yards of the barrier a trail heads left (west) connecting in about 600 yards along gentile slopes to the Long Trail. If you go straight at this spot, you continue another 3-400 yds. To the drop down to Little Pond itself at 2,600 ft. (some steep skiing).

White blazes now indicate the Appalachian /Long trail running NE/SW. A left turn heads down, then up to a great lookout SE. To the right, a steady uphill climb (but never really steep) ascends the ridgeline with a few knobs up/down at 3,100’ on the way to the eventual steep pitch to the summit (3,331). With no view at that time once I got near the top, and the wind screamed, I turned around.

Snow conditions were surprisingly good with a decent base and powder surface (recent 4+ inches). Typical snow depth 8-12” compressed and no trace of crust even off trail. Some tricky water crossings on the .5 mile connector trail. Some exposed rocks and roots here & there. Periodic blow down forced a few short detours. With high winds and snow showers on the way up, I would have appreciated a few more blazes in a few spots. Never put skins on but did switch to snow shoes below the summit.

I had been told by a local that the trail was too steep & narrow to climb Little Pond Mtn. I met two skiers who said the whole section including north to Glastonbury MT can be skinned. The upper portions are somewhat tight but manageable as I had beefy boots and good BC skis that turn well. Touring skis probably OK on the trails to/from Little Long, the connector, and to the lookout S on the Long trail. The 2 miles on the road/sled trail isn’t great skiing but sure beats walking. A few up/down keeps it interesting. The view at the pond (2.5 miles) attractive. Add another 1.5 to summit.