Bigelow -- Avery and West Peak 10-14-13

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Whiteman

Reaction score
The weather was not what had been predicted! Dense fog at the bottom, only a pinch of sunshine, and haze that kept the views down. Past peak everywhere except at the bottom, which was rich with golden poplars.

Trail: Fire Warden's Trail out and back. The trail is generally in great shape, with an amazing number of stone steps, especially in that last 3/4 mile to the col (steep!). No blowdown at all. Mud here and there, easily navigated. A couple of the log bridges are ready for repair, but I can only say great things about the MATC and their maintenance of this trail.

Parking: This was my first visit to the area, and for the slightly dense (....me), the direction to the trail from the larger parking lot was not immediately apparent. It's left, down the road full of puddles. You could drive down there too, and save .4 miles of easy walking. There is room for a few cars down at the pond, but they do seem out of place down there.

My first hike in almost a year, and it was great to be back on the trail. Saw about 20 people out and about. I must say having a half-dozen trail runners flit by after I had struggled up to the col was a nice reminder to get into better shape! On a clear day the views from the open summits of Avery and West Peak would be spectacular.

96 & 97 of the 115 for me.