I need help with my last 13

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

marysgirl

Reaction score
Moriah
Monroe
Jefferson
hale
Zealand
bonds
owls
Lafayette
Lincoln
Garfield
isolation. ..
I live in western Massachusetts but i can come up whenever.....

This just winter, or all season? Of those, I would say finish with a N-S Bonds traverse. I can keep you in mind when were might be doing those peaks. I'm a lowly redliner, so peaks are just a bonus now. I do need the Ridge between the Skook and Garfield though. :)

I have 3 day weekends the whole month on February and Jefferson is at the top of the priority list.

Please keep me in mind. Matt said to try "meet ups" too. I was actually up there yesterday. Met a few guys from VFTT doing #48 at Adams at the trailhead. My friend had a bad hike up, we split at the hut. We did Madison and came down and they went onto Adams. Everything was still on for today to do Lafayette then as we were heading to Lincoln he backed out of doing anything the rest of the weekend! So I drove him back last night to massachusetts and have nobody to go with the rest of the weekend. I am falling behind to finish these by end of winter. I am willing to come back tomorrow but everyone is football focused!

Please keep me in mind. Matt said to try "meet ups" too. I was actually up there yesterday. Met a few guys from VFTT doing #48 at Adams at the trailhead. My friend had a bad hike up, we split at the hut. We did Madison and came down and they went onto Adams. Everything was still on for today to do Lafayette then as we were heading to Lincoln he backed out of doing anything the rest of the weekend! So I drove him back last night to massachusetts and have nobody to go with the rest of the weekend. I am falling behind to finish these by end of winter. I am willing to come back tomorrow but everyone is football focused!

Do you have Monday off? We might be doing something like going up the Skook and over to Garfield. You'd be welcome to join, and you could easily grab Lafayette and Lincoln if the weather is good.

As I mentioned in another thread that you posted marysgirl, I also need the bonds but am honestly just happy to be out on the trails every day possible wherever possible. I live on the border of Salem NH but sometimes stay in the N. Conway area for the weekend (and occasionally near Plymouth, as well). I'd love to hike with you any time. Hoping to hike tomorrow and Monday, not sure exactly where as yet given the forecast. This winter is making things challenging so far!!! :(

I took yesterday as a vacation day, we don't have the holiday off. I wish. If I call in I won't get paid for the vacation day on Friday. What's up for tomorrow? Looks windy. Any idea's?

Plenty of winter left, you'll get them! Do you only hike on weekends or do you occasionally have a weekday off?

I have the 3rd and presidents day off. I have every weekend off as well.

Doesn't look that bad... I've been out on an all-day BC XC ski with a high temp for the day of -14F. (We even had a relative beginner along!) You just need to be properly equipped, know what you are doing, and stay out of the wind. Only the summit is exposed on Hale--a short stint with facemask, goggles, and full wind gear shouldn't be hard. Just choose a peak and route with no extended exposure.

EDIT:
I also did Mt Jackson on a day with summit temps of ~-13F and 40-50 mph winds. As suggested above, we were protected while in the trees, put on full gear to pop out on the summit, and headed back down into the trees. No problems.
/EDIT

However, if you do get into trouble, things can go downhill pretty quickly.

Also important--make sure your car will start at such temps... (Bring jumper cables and park in a spot where you can get help. New batteries work better in the cold than old batteries.) FWIW, mine started right up after the ski.

One benefit is that the stream crossings will tend to have nice secure ice bridges...

Doug

Last edited:
I'd be glad to go with you any Saturday to do Owls Head, Isolation, or the Bonds/Zealand.

Awesome!! I have every Saturday free, except February 1st! The "mountain weather" forecast calls for 4 inches of snow 45 mph winds and below freezing temps for this Saturday. Can we plan on the weekend of the 8th for Bonds and see how the weather goes?
I take it you know the whack for Isolation? How early of a start? Would you go out there in the weather forecast for this Saturday?

I could be easily persuaded to join in a ZeaBonds traverse next month. Let me know if it comes up.

Just saw this, I got it on sunday alone but met a few nice people on the way down that I spent a few moments with....I had to drive back to Western mass so I had to boogie....updated list....

Bonds
Zealand
Jefferson
Monroe
Garfield
Owls
Isolation

Looked sunny this coming Saturday, actually mountain weather shows both days sunny, but it's early!! I am not really looking forward to any of the others alone......

I know a group that is currently planning on Garfield for Sunday if you're looking for company.

I know a group that is currently planning on Garfield for Sunday if you're looking for company.

If I don't do the pressies with Gaiagirl on Sunday then I am in!! She needs Adams and I need Jefferson and it all depends on weather over there! Originally I was supposed to meet someone at Rocky Branch on Saturday morning and now that is up in the air too! Seems the long ones are always left until the end!!