N. & M. Trypyramids Thursday 1/30/14

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

1SlowHiker

Reaction score
Peaks: N. & M. Tripyramids.
Trails: Pine Bend to Mt Tripyramids trail.
Trail conditions: Down low in the ravine: very little snow, packed trail with roots and rocks exposed. Water crossings: all ice bridged or easy step overs or rock hops. Still lots of running water. Above the ravine: descent amount of snow. Was 6-18” drifts but now nicely broken out by myself and 2 other solo hikers (1 in spikes other in snowshoes). A few tough steep sections with ice exposed or very little snow over them - worst is just beyond junction with Scaur trail.
Blow-downs: maybe 10 or so , most easy step overs or duck under, one crawl under, One knarley looking blow-down in the ravine- tough getting through – needs pruning. Several up higher a bit tough to step over with snowshoes.
Parking: across road from trail head - more of a wide breakdown lane than a parking area – maybe room for ~ 6-8 cars bumper to bumper.

Equipment: I started with micro spikes than snow shoes above the ravine. Experimented with hillsound crampons between peaks, but snowshoes would have been better. Recommend light traction in the ravine, then tractioned snowshoes once trail starts to ascend after the wilderness sign. A few steep iced sections could use crampons but are manageable with snowshoes.

Comments: Forecast was blustery wind but turned out to be a calm sunny day (too bad the trail is in trees or the shadows most of the time). Good views from Middle. Only 2 other solo hikers today (Ben & Greg). No sign of any recent traffic since last snow fall coming up from Livermore or Sabbaday. Hike was a bit tough on me until other snowshoed hiker passed me at ~ .2 miles from the top (thanks Greg). I got a late start (for me) at 0730 and finished 10 hours later - long after the other two hikers that started after me. Two great hikes in 1 week – I love partial retirement!