Grand Tetons

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dave Bourque

Reaction score
Looking for anyone who has hiked along the Teton Crest Trail. I plan on hiking there this September. Plans are to hike in Death Canyon, head north, and exit via Cascade Canyon or Paintbrush Canyon. I have a few questions; Is south to north best? Any advice about the "Group" camping zones? Trip reports from anyone who has climbed South Teton via West Ridge? Any problems getting permits? How much wildlife did you encounter? Any advice at all would be great.

Thanks,
Dave

Can give firsthand info regarding wildlife on the Death Canyon Trail.

Did a short out-and-back on that trail summer of 2006 and encountered a grizzly bear. After watching each other for a few minutes, she got up and ambled off. Goofy part is my friend and I didn't realize it was a grizzly until we showed photos of it to another friend later that day. Didn't realize at the time that grizzlies lives as far south as the Tetons, but they do!

Thankful that Death Canyon didn't live up to its name that day.

We backpacked the Teton Crest Trail ten years ago. On that trip we saw a mother black bear and two cubs from a distance.

Teton Crest Trail Backpack

Last year we were back in the Tetons and Steve ran the Teton Crest Trail and saw a black bear. Year before that he did a loop with Cascade Canyon and Paintbrush Canyon and saw a black bear (sensing a theme? lol) and a mama moose and baby on the trail. So just take all the normal precautions with your food!

I'll have to ask Steve if he climbed South Teton (can't remember which peaks he climbed).

It's been awhile, but I don't recall any problems with permits. If you do have problems, just head south to the Wind River Range. :D

Have a great trip!!!

Permits will not be an issue in September, you will be able to walk up and get a permit in Sept.

It can snow in Sept., be prepared for that, esp if you are talking mid to late Sept.

South to North is definitely the preferred route...in my opinion.

Don't exit down Cascade Canyon! Paintbrush Divide is an absolute must, and North of the Cascade Exit. Will add one day to your itinerary.

Middle Teton is actually an easier scramble than South, but either are straightforward, please do wear a helmet though.

Good luck with it!

We hiked Granite Canyon (the Gondola from Teton Village is a quick way to gain elevation but it was out of commission when we went). Teton Video: Part 1 We then hiked from South to North by Marion Lake through the Death Canyon Shelf into Alaska Basin Teton Video: Part 2 , up Hurricane Pass Teton Video: Part 3 , and through to Cascade Canyon Teton Video: Part 4 at which time we decided to not try Paintbrush til next time out. We had no problems with camping and were the only ones in the area for our overnights. I'd agree with pudgy_groundhog as South to North is the preferred route. The wildlife we encountered were marmots, pikas, and moose. We met a guy coming out of Alaska Basin that said he and his group spotted a griz from afar. Hope you enjoy the trip! It'll be awesome anyway to decide to do it! :)

Several years ago we were there in the third week of Sept. and there was plenty of snow at 9000 ft. From there up, winter gear was needed.

Do carry bear spray at the ready. The worse encounter with a grizzly is a surprise one. Don't know whether you can fly with it but it is available out there. Check with the rangers, they'll know the areas of most recent sitings and likely destinations. It is the time of year when bears gouge themselves for the winter so they're hungry ... and we're an answer to some of their ... preyers.

I left a car at Jenny Lake and hitched a ride to the Granite Canyon trailhead, then hiked to a campsite along the way to Marion Lake. Next day hiked to Alaska Basin and spent a second night. Third day hiked over Hurricane Pass and down Cascade Canyon back to Jenny Lake. Spent a night at the Gros Ventre campground, then fourth day hiked up Paintbrush Canyon to camp near Holly Lake. Fifth day, over Paintbrush Divide to Lake Solitude and back down Cascade Canyon. Saw a couple of moose blocking the Cascade Canyon trail, but they moved out of the way to let me pass.

I've been up South Teton via the NW couloir route, which was pretty easy scrambling and looks similar to the West Ridge route.

Sounds like you have a solid plan already, I would recommend Alaska Basin if you can fit it in your plans, came in from the Idaho side thru Jed Smith National forest exceptional backpacking trip, great walk over to Hurricane Pass as well. Paintbrush was still closed to snow in mid-July. A number of people use the Gondola to get backcountry quickly, could save you a day. Holster style bear spray available everywhere in town, most, including Rangers carry/wear these Saw a lot of moose on the crest ,and in the basin, a few grizzlies in the distance- across a river thankfully. Did not summit the Tetons, but as all will tell you, the earliest start possible is best due to regular afternoon thunderstorms. Rangers are great and informative, worth a phone call to Moose Backcountry office as you solidify your plans. Have a great trip, it is an incredible place. p.s. marmots will swarm you in certain places, around dinner time, and will invade your backcountry facilities, dig deep

Last edited:
I'm glad Pudgy G and Head responded as they came to mind in that I remember they've traveled there recently.
(No disrespect to you others that have been there, I just remembered Pudgy G and Head off hand.)
Only real hike/climb I've done there is Disappointment Peak.
We saw "every" animal in the park, including Grizzly, so definitely manage food by the book.

Thanks everyone for the replies. From what everyone wrote, this is going to be an incredible trip. My hiking buddy and I don't leave until September, if anyone reads this thread and has knowledge of the West Ridge Route up South Teton, please send along the info or a link.

Thanks again,
Dave

Done it twice in recent years; above advice all good, particularly food protection; these critters (various) are smart and persistent. Never had trouble finding campsites. Hope you beat the snow. Did not see a lot of people except in the Alaska Basin, very pretty though. North out of the basin is an absolutely beautiful stretch for many miles.