elk lake trail head ?

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kd9truck

Reaction score
reciently I tried to enter the high peaks from elk lake,at the and of the road I encountered a gate .Usually because of time constaints I travel at nite, park at the trail head sleep a couple of hours and hike at first light. It was 2am not knowing if the house near the gate was ocuppied or not we went for plan B+5/8 .Do the no trustpassing signs mean in front of the signs or behind the signs. In witch case I am definately behind the signs :) I like upper works but want to enter panther gourge from elk lake. is there a secret hand shake? this would make my tavel time much shorter. thanks in advance I do not get much desk time so ,I will be slow on the reply.

Elk Lake

I've both hiked using their access and was also fortunate enough to get to stay in the lodge for a few days last summer. now as long as nothing has changed since last summer; you drive down that road and go quite a ways - i do believe there is a gate almost at the start by a house? if so, you do go thru that gate - that's ok. you go for awhile and will pass a lot on your left which is guest's access to clear pond but after driving a bit more and right before you head down the steep hill there's a parking lot on your right. that's a lot for hikers. once you go past this 2nd gate you'll see the river on your left, and the lodge on your right and this parking in here is just for guests. but they are very friendly it's worth driving in and parking and walking over to the lake for a beautiful view and some pictures. but when you hike move your car up to the other lot. i have not hiked in the winter so maybe they don't clear that lot but some of the other hikers here can answer that better.

I believe the road is a gated at clear pond and parking is available there. See Trail Conditions and search for a recent thread on the dixes that describes this better than I can.

On tuesday I will be able to provide better info as I'll be using that trailhead this weekend.

The road is private from Clear Pond (and the house referred to in the first post here) to the Elk Lake public trailhead. It is gated and closed to the public during the winter months. Please do not abuse the private Elk Lake - Clear Pond Preserve's hospitality, which allows the public trailhead (and trails) on Preserve property, allows vehicle passage to the trailhead during non-snow months, and foot traffic on the road to the trailhead in snow months.

G.

Warren, I haven't been there in the winter, so don't know how obvious the parking area is.

G.

thank you all, the gate was closed in January at 2am I wish you luck this weekend ,Please plan yourself a alterate should you run into my luck. As for the private land signs I ofcorse obay "adapt and overcome" .

elk lk signs

in response to: "Is the winter parking for this trailhead at the Clear Pond gate and is it obvious?"

elk lk is pretty good about having specific signs set up that say certain areas are for guests only. in the summer i believe that clear pond lot is just for guests. that may be diff in the winter.
but one thing i thought was kinda funny was when i stayed there i took the path to clear pond one evening and came to a couple intersections along my hike where the "guests only" paths crossed the hiking paths and there would be a sign on the path - out in the middle of nowhere saying "this path is for elk lk guests only". i don't know it just struck me as funny i'm like looking around - the only person out there and thinking "who's gonna know!" of course i would respect their property and not tred down these paths when not a guest but when i see perfect neat little signs out in the woods they just seem so out of place and somewhat humourous.