Historical Information about Chris Goetze wanted

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jeff List

Reaction score
I'm looking for historical information about the mountain exploits of Chris Goetze, if anyone can help.

Goetze was one of the early "superhikers" in the Whites and Mahoosucs. As far as I know, his 1958 "fastest known time" of 8:06:30 for the Mahoosuc Traverse still stands today, nearly 56 years later. Chris Goetze died of a brain tumor at the early age of 38.

I've seen reference to an article about Chris in Appalachia written by his Dad:
Klaus Goetze, "Far and Fast," Appalachia:32;203-211 (Dec. 1958).
I know that the Highlands Center has a complete set of Appalachia back issues, but if anyone has this article in hand and can send me a copy (scan, photo, etc.), that would be much appreciated.

Any other information on Chris Goetze would also be appreciated.

thanks,
Jeff

I believe Mr. Goetze served as Appalachia editor for awhile and has written plenty of stuff himself including kayaking the coast of Labrador. Plenty of places other than Highland Center (including some public libraries) have sets of Appalachia and you can probably get desired issues on interlibrary loan. An index of articles published maybe 25 years ago will probably help you.

Plenty of places other than Highland Center (including some public libraries) have sets of Appalachia and you can probably get desired issues on interlibrary loan.
Don't try the BPL. They supposedly have it, but the catalogue is hideously confused between that and a newsletter for governments in West Virginia and I never managed to get my hands on any issue. AMC HQ library at Joy Street has 'em all right to hand, but recommend an appointment before coming in.