Santanoni FUN! [I]Jeff makes 46!![/I]

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bubba

Reaction score
Santanoni FUN! Extra!! Jeff makes 46!!

Santanoni’s and FUN! – could it be??

The interest started from a Teejay VFTT thread about Seymour. Looked like he was out bagging 46’s. I wanted him to know that I was headed for the Santanoni’s the last weekend of July and that there was company to be had for those “needing” these remote peaks (high and otherwise).

We nearly had a planned party with JoeBoy, Mcorsar, slamdog and HarryK but three had to bail for varying reasons. The three musketeers not Tom, Dick and Harry but Teejay, bubba and slamdog laid plans for FUN!

I picked up Teejay at his home in central NY on my way through and met the lovely Ms Teejay! Took off and headed for the Mtns mid-day Friday. Got to the Tahawas trailhead and tried organizing packs including the first time use of my new BearVault canister. A new packing experience and a learned lesson down the trail – I needed to repack the pack and lower all of the gear so the weight was lower in the pack and off my shoulders (I was going lite at 35-ish pounds – Help! I need lessons!). ETD: around 5:45PM heading for the Bradley Pond Lean-to.

As I imagined, this year’s warm weather has “helped” the Bradley Pond Trail… but it’s still WET and sloppy!! I can’t imagine doing this during a wet spell. I’ve renamed it The Forgotten Trail and anyone who has been on it, understands exactly how fitting this name is (rotted corduroy, no drainage work, wide walk-arounds, etc.—and it’s a maintained trail?) But remember we were out to have fun so take your pick of fun things to do – rock jumping, puddle hopping – it was great! As we passed the cut-off to the Panther Brook herd path and neared the Lean-to I did a log-rolling stunt and tested the murky water/sludge up over my right knee!!

There was room at the lean-to and space near to camp – I opted for soft tenting and Teejay the L/T. We joined a solo MD from Chenango Falls and another couple (Teejay and I can’t remember where they were from) – nice couple. Although they just met, Doc and the couple had hiked the trio of waiting peaks (Panther, Couchsachraga and Santanoni) earlier in the day. The one good piece of advice that they shared was that we needed to pack in plenty of water, as there was NOT water throughout the hike. They had gone through nearly all of the water that they had taken in.

Sleep deprived for the last three days, I headed to the sack early after a quick lite dinner. Plans were to meet up with our VFTT buddy slamdog at 8AM at the junction. Up early, but barely early enough – Teejay and I headed to the trailhead and met up with slamdog aka, Lance. We headed up Panther Brook and followed a very well established herd path upward along Panther Mtn’s rocky flanks. This is a great trail – plenty of elevation gained and just keeps you in an uphill grind. As chance would have it, it seemed that the three of us VFTT’s shared a compatible pace as well as easy conversation – Lance and Teejay had plenty of mutual friends from the Syracuse area – both living in far suburban areas of the Orangeman’s home.

We easily found ourselves at “Harold Square” – the stop before Times Square. There are two distinct trails from the monument rock that stands at the “junction”. One to the right heads over to Panther and going to the left will take you to Times Square. (NOTE: There is a marking “<--S “ scratched in the rock. One would think that only Santanoni is in that direction – this is misleading and I wish someone would put a “T” before the “S” so all knew that Times Square is that-a-way). Several false paths have been very obviously “brushed in”. The true trails are distinct. We headed for Panther and were greeted with open rock space and the summit in a very short while. The views back to the eastern High peaks were exceptional on this wonderfully mostly sunny, low humidity and perfect hiking day!! One could easily call out the peaks and ranges – with tell-tale Wallface out in front showing his/her towering walls for all (well, nearly all – anybody have a map and compass??).

On the summit we had the first chance of the day to greet some fellow hikers. Teejay informed us that he was hanging back due to aches in the hips – and Lance and I joined forces with Jeff and Mark, two fit-looking, Burlington, VT-based guys heading out for the same remaining peaks (Lance, BTW was only after Couchy as he had previously summited P and S).

Once again, chance played out well as the four of us seemed to make pace together. Heading out of Time Square (nearly a 4K’r itself) drops you into a col between itself and Couchy. This is a fairly long drop in elevation, but the trail skirts around the hip and comes around to the infamous swamp or bog below Couchy – threatening all to find a suitable route. Thanks to VFTT’r Gandalf’s Trail Report posted 7-26 highlighting his 7-23 hike to our current destination I had the inside knowledge that we needed to go straight on a timber directly in front of us and head over to the other/right side. Excellent! No time wasted here!! Others we had, and will talk to during this hiking day will share tales of missing the trail, getting lost or abandoning the attempt. Good posting, Gandalf!!

Couchy’s peak is… well… below others. The least of the 46, we could say. Certainly we continue to see fine vistas over to the north of Seymour and the Seward Range. The views -- cascaded peaks behind peaks throughout the day. A fine day to be where we were as we enjoyed getting to know new people and share lunch together. BTW, neither Jeff nor Mark had visited VFTT – they heard all about it from slamdog and bubba (we think we made them believers…)

The trip back was a burn back up the col up to TS. Let’s call this a peak too! In casual conversation coming off Couchsachraga, doesn’t Burlington Jeff mention that Santanoni will be his 46th peak!! Are You Kidding Me?!? Hell – where do you buy Champagne on this mountain? I am now in a place of honor… and Jeff doesn’t appreciate how “we” seek to share our triumphs. This day is getting better by the minute!! Wait – Jeff pulls a leg muscle on the way up to TS – we all stop… halt… and gasp. Is this a peak threatening injury??? He’s winching… come-on my new friend – we have a peak to climb!! My now cast-off “old” friend, Lance aka slamdog, stands there – is this a guy who would rub Jeff’s inner thigh?? Naw… he’ll let him suffer!! (Besides, Mark is the physician in the group and we’re leaving that up to his trained hands!!) I’ll give Jeff credit – he did pull something, but he also pulled it together and we made it up to TS sans tears or whimpers. (Note, along this part of the tour we passed several hikers that were on the trail today).

Top off to Times Square and whose familiar face is waiting but Teejay!! We regroup and fix Jeff up with some salt and whatever else we thought might be good for him. We share more company at the square and soon head off south around the rock toward Santanoni. (BTW, Once you are in TS – if you’ve read anything at all it is very straightforward. This is not tough at all!) Teejay and Lance join forces and head back off the range. Lance is driving back to Speculator to re-group for his next 9-days in the high peak region. My new buddies and I head off for the crowning gem in Jeff’s quest -- again, we drop off into a col between TS and the destination peak. The trail is well-defined and fairly soft coming down and back up to a pre-summit and then to Santanoni itself. A rock face with excellent views hangs just below the signed summit. CONGRATULATIONS JEFF!! Another, the NEWEST – ADK 46r!! Listen up folks – 32 years in the making!!! Newly wed, this professional commercial photographer can now go out and get a LIFE!! And, let’s hear it for Mark – we all need a good friend like him to carry us through our life experiences with support and friendship. So now that we’re arrived, celebrated and taken in the magnificent views – no Champagne, no flags, nor cheering crowds – lets do a mountain top snooze!! Well done and deserved.

Okay – hit the trail. Back to TS – one of those surprise tops – I couldn’t believe we got there as soon as we did! Around TS and out past Harold Square and down Panther’s side. Wow – we climbed ALL this earlier today?? We were all surprised how much down we did to get out. A stop in Panther Brook’s great, cool swimming hole gave us a chance to cool down, freshen up and replenish energy and water. A great stop!

The final push out and down to the Forgotten Trail, muck and floating timbers (that’s it – a moat around our campsite!). Campers around and greetings from all!

I find Teejay with dinner nearly prepared! This is a life, huh?? How come nobody told me to pack red wine? (Note to self…) We have new Lean-to mates – Sarah and Darrell (VFFT member ADackR) with their chocolate lab, Schala. We had a delightful time dining together... and learned plenty from this very trial-wise couple. Sarah dehydrates spaghetti sauce, prep’s dinner with seasoned olive oil and grilled pita/cheese breads. (Did I mention red wine?) A very interesting time-shared among us. Thanks to both – see you on the trail??

CONTINUED -- I didn't know there was a character limit...

Last edited:
And the rest of the story...

A good night’s sleep again and Teejay and I are out at a decent time in the AM – we have the Long Lake Diner on our agenda later this morning!! Greetings and pleasant exchanges around the site as we leave. The trip out the Forgotten Trail is another game of rock jump and log-rolling. It’s way more fun with a full-pack! The trail from the road is a continual uphill; so going out is simply down and out. Teejay has route times – possibly he will share those later in this thread.

We elect to stop at Harris Lake State Park in Newcomb – a family and day-use camping area around a nice small lake (lake-side camp sites). The DEC manager refused day-use $$ from us to just go in and shower!! In and out and Oh – so needed!! Into LL Diner and soon back on the road home.

Now, a final note about this hike: I have somewhat dreaded the thought of getting back into this remote area. I’d heard about the mucky trail, the confusing TS and long, strenuous day-hike that this can be, and Couchsachraga, the lowly 46’r. I was torn about day or overnight.

Let me share my observation. Doing this as an overnight is the best. It is a shared experience with all who are there with you. Face it – those of us that were there were all there for (probably) the same reason. We’ve hiked around and were looking for something else – most for those next three to add to the 46 list. But – it’s unique! Everybody there is on the same ride. We are all sharing the same experience. As mentioned, we see each other at camp on the trails and peaks (we all do them in different order) and again back at camp. We congratulate and shared our successes. We are all veteran hikers back here. I can’t tell you how you have a sense of being unified with one another. Very special experience!

So get on those gaiters and don’t even let anyone try to fix up the Forgotten Trail – we want to keep this… special.

Yes… FUN! and as a surprise, fantastic!

Last edited:
Wow Bubba, I thought my reports were long! That was a treat to read, a real savoury treat. My son and I got back in there twice late last winter and spring (2004) for overnights and you absolutely nailed the atmosphere.

Dear reader, If you ever despair of the human race just go to the Bradley Pond LT and your faith in humanity will be restored!

good trip report bubba. it was great to meet you and teejay... hope all goes well on Marshall in september!!!

just to add, sara and i had previously done santy and panther two years ago and finally came back to get couchy... it was a great trip, with great weather and not too much mud, well above times square... the usual scramble through the mud before the lean-to that bubba described will always be there unless something is done..

anyway, we did get turned around at harold square when trying to find the path to couchy, after 5 or so minutes we were on our way... things were going well untill the swamp... i had expected a much larger swamp with all the trip reports i had read before but it still got the better of us....

we ended up going left through the swamp and getting into some false trails. we met this guy who had been in there for 20 minutes and couldn't figure out where to go.. so sara and i and another couple we were hiking with took a look at the bearing we had on our compass and just started heading in that direction. well it worked out BUT we came upon a 10 foot high cliff. up and over that we went (our little friend that was lost for 20 minutes said the heck with this and left) and 20 feet through the thick brush we were back on the trail.. 20 minutes after making the summit our little friend (now taggin along with someone else) finally made it... we felt better knowing that he made the summit because he left with out saying a thing. we thought he didn't like us or something or he just thought we were to crazy for him...

anyway, after arriving back at times square, sara and i headed over to panther (because we already had santy) to catch some views....they were great and once back down to the lean-to we made a hearty dinner and had some wine...

all in all a great trip, with the surprise meeting of VFTT'pers..

happy hiking..

btw, our dog is named chela.....

oh yeah BUBBA, did you forget your sunglasses at the lean-to??? if so, they are still there>....< :D just kidding we have them....PM me your addy..

Very glad to read that someone benefited from my post here last week! :cool: I doubt I would've found the Couchie swamp so easy myself if I hadn't read Tim's (Mavs00) and Joel's (AdirondackJourney) reports beforehand.

Great report! More proof that fun in the Santanonis IS possible. :D

Mud!

cantdog said:
Audrey has warned me about the legendary "Adirondack Mud." Should I get a 2nd opinion??

I'll give you one! It's out there all right! I have a BSM Index, which stands for Boot-Sucking-Mud. It goes from 1 to 5, sort of like hurricanes. A 1 is no problem, just a little squishy. A 5 will yank your high top boots right off your feet!

The mud seems to persist in some places in the Daks, even when it has not rained for several days. I think it is places where the mud is sitting on top of a rock layer, and the water can not run out.

There were a few places going out to Couchie that you want to avoid, due to the high BSM index, such as the dreaded swamp. Just stay to the right, you'll be much better off.

The Sewards have a few 4 and 5 BSM bogs.

Just another reason to carry a hiking pole. :D

It's interesting, at the Loj, there are little signs in the bathroom and elsewhere that are intended to teach hiking etiquette. One of the recommendations is to always hike *on* the trail, and not go around muddy spots, thereby not widening the trail. I see people who just hike straight thru muddy sections, but most skirt them.

Couldn't have said it better myself!!!!!!!!

Thanks bubba for the superlative trip report. You captured the entire mood, feeling, and spirit of every aspect of the trip. The camaraderie of the sharing, caring, interesting folks we met both in the camping areas and on the trails was the essence of the perfect mountain experience. It defines why we do this occasional craziness. My Dad once described another wilderness experience (canoeing) as "a most delightful madness." How true. I was indeed blessed to have been a part of this most delightful madness.

Trail times, you ask. We started the easy stroll in to the lean-to at 6:27 PM and reached the start of the herd path at 8:10. The next short stretch, hardly 1/4 mile to the lean-to took 15 mins. on the level. The mud lives up to its reputation. Two poles are required both to probe and for balance. Gaiters are only necessary when all else fails. I didn't put them on and was lucky. bubba did and was glad he had. Time from the car to the lean-to just under 2 hrs. The guidebook says about 1100' are gained and almost all of it is easy ups.

The hike directly to Panther on Saturday (not our original plan) took about 2:45 from the start of the herd path, I didn't write down the exact time we summitted. I hung on the summit for a loooong time and eventually walked back to Times Square with Kathy and Annie, two Catskill hikers who get to the ADKs as well. I set out with them with good intentions for Santanoni but we were soon confronted by an injured (knee) hiker. The girls were much better prepared first aid-wise than I and did what they could for him. (He made it out all right under his own power.) After hiking a short distance out to Santa I decided to return to Times Square thinking that the long down climb to the lean-to would punish my still okay hips.

I hung at TS for quite a while (hours, actually) greeting, meeting and saying goodbye to a number of groups passing through, one way or the other. Two women I met there were from the Montreal area. One saw my VFTT shirt and patch and she mentioned she knew someone who posted there. Prino, did you hear that?

After bubba and slamdog returned from Couchie with Jeff and Mark we hung and ate for a while before slamdog and I sent them off to Santa. Congratulations, Jeff. Wish I coulda' been there, but I was close enough. Our trip back to the start of the herd path took slamdog and me about 1:45 at a fairly easy pace with a stop to pump water and a short, unplanned detour off trail. After we parted company, it still took me 15 mins. to reach the lean-to. The mud was just as deep.

Sunday morning the hike out was faster than the hike in. bubba had learned a lot about packing on Friday. I had learned two weeks earlier in my aborted Seymour hike. We especially booked the last mile or so on the road, but that's another story. Or maybe it was the thought of a real (yes) hot (not) shower and a hearty (yes), on-the-spot (not) breakfast at the LL Diner. BTW, there is an impressive, low-angle view of Wallface, hear that, Wallface, again, Wallface, from the road out where it passes through a marshy section. Keep looking on your right for raspberries. Have a few. Then look left. The hike out was about 1:40. Almost all downhill.

Things learned besides the packing lessons. The herd path up Panther is easier than the last 15 minutes to the lean-to. Ibuprofen works for me. And I had enough for everyone else at Times Square. My hips held up. Monday morning I could walk!! You meet the finest people in the woods. When Kathy and Annie joined me on the summit, I overheard them a short ways off expressing their concern over my summit experience if they should make a cell call. No problem, I told them. I made one, too, just for kicks. Panther is a gem. The views are spectacular. The signal's not bad (Verizon).

Delightfully mad,

teejay

Glad to entertain with the report. Thanks Teejay for the follow-up and times. You also nicely reminded me of some other elements of the trip, and we did all appreciate you sharing your vitamin-I with us all!!

ADackR - I was giving Chela an attempt - mine was a different spelling just as I did for Sarah! Too bad about the Couchsachraga sting... I guess we never got to talking about the trip over. I'd have gladly let you in on our insight. Going left was the continual mistake of many... wearing a path... SOS! I'll check on the sunglasses. Thanks.

Harry... when we were on Couchsachraga we thought we heard a beer pop over in the direction of Seward!! See you in a couple weeks, I'll pop one then.

Jeff... Mark.. own up to being there!!

Bubba, Teejay, great reports, and a great day had by all. Except for the guy who blew out his knee. I caught up with him and the two others only 300 yards from the trail/herd path junction. I wound up switching packs with him as he had a "weekender" and carried it out the last 4 mi. to the trail head. He made it, and was off to a hospital in Amsterdam. It was a fantastic day, all in all. And, as for "Boot Sucking Mud" (BSM index) I have never experienced mud like the stuff on the way to Couchie. Looking forward to some nice climbs the weekend on the barbeque! slamdog

Tom Rankin said:
It's interesting, at the Loj, there are little signs in the bathroom and elsewhere that are intended to teach hiking etiquette. One of the recommendations is to always hike *on* the trail, and not go around muddy spots, thereby not widening the trail. I see people who just hike straight thru muddy sections, but most skirt them.

We used to call it "The Adirondack Way". Straight through the mud right down the center of the trail - Each boot carrying a 1/2 lb of muck. :D After all that's why we all had heavy leather boots and knee high gaitors on. I agree with you Tom, I have observed most skirt the mud, tiptoeing around the edges making the trail more of a mess. Especially with many wearing low cut trail shoes and low cut gaitors now.

But I do think of the mud as part of the Adriondack experience. After all, doesn't the thought of putting on cold soggy muddy gaitors and boots at 6AM keep many folks out of the backcountry?? :D :D