Cannon via Mittersill-Cannon Trail, June 1, 2014

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Driver8

Reaction score
West Hartford, CT (Photo: Sages Ravine, Salisbury,
Had a fine trip up Cannon on Sunday, a bluebird day. Was my first four-thousand-footer in almost seven months. Asking around about options, I heard from Steve Smith that the new Mittersill-Cannon Trail might offer better footing than some other approaches, and some excellent views, especially at Mittersill Peak, on the climb. Starting from the new double ski lift base on the northwest edge of the resort, the trail ascends a ski trail which shoots off to the left of the lift. The trailhead sign for this seasonal trail, which according to Steve and to John Happy Hiker is near the parking area and by the ski lift, was not in place.

I had a trail map courtesy Steve and reports from him and John, and, after following a footpath left of the lift for a bit, took the intermediate ski trail off to the lift's left. Steve advised later that the proper trail takes the more leftward of the two ski trails left of the lift's path, not the middle route I took.

I saw no yellow blazes until the trail took its first right turn onto a more level service road, after about a quarter mile and 200' of gain. I had little trouble following the trail from there - there were probably three yellow blazes on rocks for every one on a tree, so it's clearly marked with its seasonality in mind. My only complaint about the trail would be about the rough stretch of highly eroded road, a steep stretch from about 2500 to 2800' to the left of Mittersill lift (for about its first half, the trail winds back and forth across the lift path, never further than a quarter mile from it). That, and a short, very muddy section just uphill from there, and aside from that, it was good going. The road stretch is quite loose and rough and very easy to fall on when descending, as I did when I got to the top of it on my return trip - just a scuff or two on the right arm and pinkie and a plop on the butt, nothing serious, but remember to take care with your footing in this stretch. One thing I liked about this rough, gravelly stretch on the climb were the numerous rhodora along its side.

The first views of the northern Presidentials appeared at the top of the Mittersill lift, at about 3200'. From there, the slog up Mittersill continued, predictably moderating a bit just before the summit. The peak offered very nice views of Cannon, the high Franconias, Garfield, North Twin and the Northern Presi’s, and breathtaking views of Coppermine Ravine, the Cannon Balls and the Kinsmen, which loomed massively a few miles southwest.

After a descent of about 70’ to a col, the trail then climbed, first gently, then quite steeply, up Cannon's steep main cone. Here was the only other navigational issue I encountered. At about 3750', past a pair of large, table-like granite boulders on the left, which have a nice memorial from friends to a departed friend and chairs, a grill and other bbq gear, a somewhat level cut goes left from the ski-trail the M-C trail followed to that point. There’s a tall poll on the left which may bear a sign, in season, showing the turn, but the sign wasn't up and there is no blazing in this area. The trail does take this left turn, which I opted to take in order to get to a service road Google Earth promised me was 50 yards left (east). Luckily for me, the yellow blazes picked up again immediately once I got to the service road. From there, it was about 0.2, if that, steeply, bending left past a wind-shielding fence, a couple more rights and lefts, finally crossing the path of Cannon’s main chairlift, and on to the Tramway summit area building.

Crossed a rope forbidding Tramway visitors to hike Cannon's ski trails, then checked in there – it was about 12:30 pm – and found out the place closed at 4, so I had plenty of time. Went up and claimed and enjoyed the summit, circled back to the Tramway bldg via the KRT and the Rim Trail, taking in some cliff-top views, then, after a nice, leisurely break, enjoying the Mount Liberty (grilled cheese with tomato) and some fruit, took just under two hours to get back to my patiently waiting car.

Stopped back at Chet’s for a shower, visiting and thanking Steve Smith at his store on the way, got a nice dinner at the Common Man – thanks, Chet, for the referral - then back south and west to CT, tired, sore and happy.

Aside from trail conditions, a few practical notes: there's ample parking at the trailhead. There's almost no water on this trail until you reach the Tramway building, so pack plenty of fluids. Once you get to summit area, the Tramway buiding has plenty: free filtered water offered, hot and cold - nice touch. Bugs: I drew a few bites on my calves before succumbing and applying spray about half a mile in. They were minimal, scarcely a nuisance.

I reckoned that Cannon wasn't in love with its new state-mandated hiking trail, what with the rope barrier I had to cross just before getting to the Tramway. Steve Smith confirmed that he ran into the same rope last year on his hike, which he chronicled at his Mountain Wanderer blog. So I didn't ask any questions or make any announcements to resort staff about my itinerary. I ran into no trouble and was evidently the only one on the M-C trail for the day. I'm quite slow, so I'd pretty well have seen any fellow hikers on the day. There was significant evidence, though, that some other hikers are using the trail - footprints and often a clearly beaten footpath amid the road and ski-trail cuts.

Pictures can be seen here: https://www.facebook.com/Arkie.in.CT/media_set?set=a.10204239014038482.1073741848.1321623751&type=3

Last edited:
Glad to hear you enjoyed this trail. Some of those footprints were mine as I was there on Satuday. Unfortunately I did not have the views like you did, just a little rain. I looped up Kinsman Ridge Tr and descended along M-C Tr returning along the path along the west side of Echo Lake. I thank 1HappyHiker for the idea. This is a fine trail to make a loop or use as an alternative, somewhat smoother, ascent of Cannon. Of course Mittersill Pk would be a fine destination by itself.

Glad to hear you enjoyed this trail. Some of those footprints were mine as I was there on Satuday. Unfortunately I did not have the views like you did, just a little rain. I looped up Kinsman Ridge Tr and descended along M-C Tr returning along the path along the west side of Echo Lake. I thank 1HappyHiker for the idea. This is a fine trail to make a loop or use as an alternative, somewhat smoother, ascent of Cannon. Of course Mittersill Pk would be a fine destination by itself.

Cool that you and I almost intersected, iQuest - definitely saw some of your fresh prints. I also missed a moose by only a bit - saw a pile of its droppings and a few hoof prints early on at about 2400'. Closest I've come to seeing one, so far as I know.

Mittersill's views, especially of the Cannon Balls, the Coppermine Ravine and the Kinsmen, are gorgeous. Cannon's views of the notch are something special. Descending across Mittersill, I caught a nice afternoon look at a pretty waterfall that Steve Smith later told me was likely seasonal. It was in a small southerly branch of the Coppermine Ravine that runs along the NE Ball's rightward (westward) flank, flowing northerly. The fall, which appeared to be a multi-step slide of about 125', was a beauty. Would love to get up into that ravine for some exploration.

Last edited: