Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Netflix has some new mountain movies

Quote Originally Posted by JoshandBaron View Post
    There is no shortage of AT documentaries following this formula on youtube for free. Many with superior production quality.
    Any specific recommendations? I've exhausted my list of hangover Sunday hiking movies and I'm a cheap bastard when it comes to movie rentals. I think the only ones I've actually paid to go see and/or watch are Free Solo and Meru.

New animated mountaineering movie out, "The Summit of the Gods." Released Nov 30, 2021 on Netflix.

I started watching it, and I have to say, it's pretty interesting so far.

You can read a review here:
    https://www.msn.com/en-us/entertainm...ewsntp&pc=W100

Max Lowe, the son of Alex Lowe, has made a magnificent movie, Torn.

Alex Lowe, of course, died in an avalanche where his partner Conrad Anker survived. Anker went on to marry Max Lowe's mother, Jennifer. This movie is an exploration of many painful issues not typically discussed on the climbing world (although a notable exception is Maria Coffey's "Where the Mountain Casts Its Shadow: The Dark Side of Extreme Adventure"), and it does so in a personal way that pulled this viewer in.

Available on Disney+

"tis the season for movie releases, it seems.

"An Accidental Life" is available (as of Feb 25, 2022) via the Big Sky Documentary Film Festival. Cost is $10:
    https://watch.eventive.org/bsdff22/p...242b0030abf334

The movie follows a climber who has her spine shattered, and what she goes through afterwards.

Climbing magazine has a review, but it might be subscription only.
    https://www.climbing.com/news/quinn-...mU8umUOQT_ClMo

Brian

Another "Torn" recommendation, it's more human drama about a mountaineering legend's family and partner.
    Have fun & be safe
    Mike P.

Quote Originally Posted by B the Hiker View Post
    Max Lowe, the son of Alex Lowe, has made a magnificent movie, Torn.

Alex Lowe, of course, died in an avalanche where his partner Conrad Anker survived. Anker went on to marry Max Lowe's mother, Jennifer. This movie is an exploration of many painful issues not typically discussed on the climbing world (although a notable exception is Maria Coffey's "Where the Mountain Casts Its Shadow: The Dark Side of Extreme Adventure"), and it does so in a personal way that pulled this viewer in.

Available on Disney+
    https://films.nationalgeographic.com/torn
    "I'm getting up and going to work everyday and I am stoked. That does not suck!"__Shane McConkey

I thought Torn was really good. Definitely and interesting and unique documentary. Conrad Anker seems like such a decent kindhearted guy. Thanks for recommending this.
    Spencer
    Bigfoot

Quote Originally Posted by SpencerVT View Post
    I thought Torn was really good. Definitely and interesting and unique documentary. Conrad Anker seems like such a decent kindhearted guy. Thanks for recommending this.
    The movie is powerful on so many levels! Mountaineering movies, obviously, tend to focus on the mountaineering elements and not the personal side, and Torn did a beautiful job of putting the personal side in perspective.

As a side note, I heard an interview with Jimmy Chin, who said that they put so much of Honnold's personal life in because, when they were filming the movie over the course of several years, they never really believed Honnold would actually try to solo the whole route!

.....and for the skiers out there a perspective from the personal side. https://vimeo.com/470377189
    "I'm getting up and going to work everyday and I am stoked. That does not suck!"__Shane McConkey

They keep on coming!

Netflix is now streaming Against the Ice.

The movie is based on a true story about a Danish explorer who, in 1909, seeks to determine whether Greenland was a singular land mass, and is abandoned by his crew. With just one other companion, they have to survive on their own for twenty-eight months. If I understand it correctly, the entire movie was filmed on location, in the proper season.

Feast of movies of late, between 14 Peaks, Augmented, Infinite Storm, Torn, and the upcoming Reel Rock 16 which is starting to tour.

Against the Ice was pretty good, I enjoyed it. I don't think they overbaked it too much. And I agree, it's so awesome that a lot of great movies are coming out after a dearth of films during the Covid era.
    Spencer
    Bigfoot

Dartmouth, Nova Scotia - Avatar: Lion Head trail
    Quote Originally Posted by Gremlin View Post
    I think Mount Logan is the second highest mountain in North America.
    Yes. As I understand it, Logan is highest in Canada, Elias is 2nd highest. Denali is highest in US, Elias is 2nd highest. In North America, Denali is highest, Logan 2nd highest, Elias 3rd highest. I'm not an expert, so please limit the abuse if I'm not totally correct

Quote Originally Posted by Mac View Post
    Yes. As I understand it, Logan is highest in Canada, Elias is 2nd highest. Denali is highest in US, Elias is 2nd highest. In North America, Denali is highest, Logan 2nd highest, Elias 3rd highest. I'm not an expert, so please limit the abuse if I'm not totally correct
    According to wikipedia you got the first two correctly: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_o..._North_America

A new movie is out, The Last Mountain. No recreations, the entire movie is of actual footage.

The movie covers a lot of ground, from what I can make of it, but seems to be about a family coping with loss. In this case, the loss of two family members. The first Alison Hargreaves, the first woman to solo Everest without oxygen, among other achievements. The second is her son, Tom Ballard, who was only six when Alison died on K2.

This BBC movie examines how the Ballards were impacted by the loss of their mother and brother.

Tom and his girlfriend, Daniel Nardi, died attempting a winter ascent of the Mummery Spur on Nanga Parbat in 2019, and I get the impression Nardi's family was not all that pleased that she went on the expedition with the more-experienced Ballard.

It doesn't strike me as the warm and fuzzy movie that Torn was, with footage of people making accusations and speaking of the deaths in harsh tones that Torn seemed to elide.

There is also the problem that the son had more footage than the mother, so it should come as no surprise that his story gets more screen time, even as a the movie focuses less on climbing and more on the family. Indeed, I get the impression this isn't much of a climbing movie at all.

I haven't watched it yet. It's streaming on Amazon.

Quote Originally Posted by B the Hiker View Post
    They keep on coming!

Netflix is now streaming Against the Ice.
    Apparently, I've been pronouncing Primus incorrectly.