New Abol Trail BSP 9/9

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

peakbagger

Super Moderator
Staff member
VFTT Supporter
Reaction score
I booked a trip up to BSP to try out the new Abol trail. It was opened for summer season use this year although the work is not complete. The new trail takes a sharp left off the old trail when ascending. The old route is already growing in and is currently marked with an orange ribbon, there is no sign at the junction. It has been brushed in somewhat. The new trail is built to a high standard. It is extensively switchbacked and in some places even the areas between the switchbacks have been built up with rocks. The stone work is impressive, the stone steps are designed for the long term. Wood is not used. All the water bars are rock. There are still plenty of ribbons showing future stairs and water bars that appear mostly to be for hardening the path. The new route goes well west over to a ridge line with a fine view of the ridge that was the Hunt Trail. The new route bypasses the loose gravel slide section. Eventually it transitions from the woods and tops out in a boulder section with a nice view. It then runs east dipping slightly until it meets the old Abol Trail. There is a distinct new sign post at the junction (no sign). When I was looking from the bottom of the trail back up the slide the sign post is obvious. It looks like the junction is not that far above the beginning of the steep gravel section of the old trail.

There is still the somewhat steep boulder scramble up the upper slide but the key to this area is that the rocks are solid making footing a lot more sure that the now bypassed lower slide. The overall route is now substantially less exposed than the Hunt trail, it should definitely be considered as a foul weather route for those hiking from the west side of the mountain as it gets below treeline faster and avoids the ridgeline. The only minor issue that remains is that the Abol route tends to have the most sun exposure due to its orientation on the mountain. The new trail is cut wide which does cut back on shade a bit. I expect it may have been cut slightly wide initially but may be allowed to grow in a bit later.

We did talk to the rangers at the base and the plan is to leave the old slide section as an option for those who want to do it. I personally am not a fan of loose gravel and rocks but expect some may. Unlike the Hunt trail, there the no section of house sized boulders to be maneuvered over. Those comfortable with Caps Ridge Trail in the Whites would be well prepared for the level of skill required on the top un-relocated section.