Results 1 to 14 of 14

Thread: Garmin GPSMAP 66i is here

  1. #1
    Senior Member Jazzbo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    Waltham, MA Jazzbo & Marty meet Bigfoot on Kennebago Divide
    Posts
    1,110

    Garmin GPSMAP 66i is here

    Being registered Garmin user I got an email notification about the newest GPSMAP 66i is being released. It appears to do what I've always wanted Garmin to do - combine Inreach tech with Garmin 64 tech in one package. I've always had impression the Inreach Explorer has GPS navigation, but it doesn't work as well as the Garmin 62 or 64. List price is $600 so I won't be rushing out to be the first to buy one. I think I'll wait a while for them to work out the bugs and for price to come down. Here is what the email said

    Precise navigation meets global communication
    Featuring a large 3” sunlight-readable color display, the button-operated GPSMAP 66i GPS handheld and satellite communicator comes with pre-loaded Garmin TOPO mapping, direct-to-device Birdseye Satellite Imagery downloads and inReach technology, which enables two-way text messaging, live tracking and interactive SOS capabilities.

    Join us at 3:30 p.m. (EST), June 27, for a live instructional inReach Field Experience webinar to learn more about this new addition to the inReach product line. Chip Noble, senior product manager at Garmin, will review the core features of GPSMAP 66i and the new Garmin Explore™ companion app. As always, we’ll save time for your questions.
    On #67 of NE67
    On #98 of NEHH
    On #45 of WNH48

    "Commuter—one who spends his life
    In riding to and from his wife;
    A man who shaves and takes a train,
    And then rides back to shave again." EB White (1899-1986)

  2. #2
    Senior Member CaptCaper's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2003
    Location
    AHH....SKYLINE
    Posts
    494
    You must realize that the Inreach,Spot and now 66I is not as reliable or apt to get help as the ResQlink by ACR. For those not learned beware. It's all about the frequency's. I carry the ResQlink any where I go. I don't care about texting or built in gps receiver. I have one separate. If and when I need help I want to reach out no matter where or how period and with accuracy to pin point you in the end. The ResQlink will do that.

  3. #3
    Senior Member skiguy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location
    Center Conway, NH
    Posts
    2,381
    Quote Originally Posted by CaptCaper View Post
    You must realize that the Inreach,Spot and now 66I is not as reliable or apt to get help as the ResQlink by ACR. For those not learned beware. It's all about the frequency's. I carry the ResQlink any where I go. I don't care about texting or built in gps receiver. I have one separate. If and when I need help I want to reach out no matter where or how period and with accuracy to pin point you in the end. The ResQlink will do that.
    Can’t find any info on the frequencies with the Garmin to make that comparison to the ResQlink. Any info would be helpful. Thank you ahead of time.
    "I'm getting up and going to work everyday and I am stoked. That does not suck!"__Shane McConkey

  4. #4
    Senior Member CaptCaper's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2003
    Location
    AHH....SKYLINE
    Posts
    494
    Quote Originally Posted by skiguy View Post
    Can’t find any info on the frequencies with the Garmin to make that comparison to the ResQlink. Any info would be helpful. Thank you ahead of time.
    Start here it's important. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8m78j0TIeVg&t=33s

    Part 1. it's a little bland in a few spots but watch the 100%

    Then watch Part 2 100 % especially. This will give you a base of info to start researching as I had and did before I bought. I read many stories and information before buying. The money isn't an issue with me it's the reliability to reach help in any situation any where on earth. $600 or 66I etc. plus contracts is no problem as far as me and the wife's lives are concern. So again money didn't play into it.

    ResQLink Plus https://www.acrartex.com/products/resqlink-plus-plb
    ResQLink uses 406 mhz and gps combined. Then uses the old 121.5 mhz as search and rescue still uses it on low flying craft and or handheld units. ResQLink with 121.5 is good because it will pin point you to a deep ravine or spot that can't be seen with naked eye by rescuers if they have the tools. Even thou it's not the main frequency any more used by satellites. 406 is.
    ResQLink + is waterproof.

    For $389 with a guaranteed help line in any situation even from airplane hangers or heavy laden snow cover, notch canyons,etc. Plus it's small. Many would be alive today or never of had a near death experience if they had one. Keep in on your person not in a glove box or some where hard to get at.

  5. #5
    Senior Member skiguy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location
    Center Conway, NH
    Posts
    2,381
    J
    Quote Originally Posted by CaptCaper View Post
    Start here it's important. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8m78j0TIeVg&t=33s

    Part 1. it's a little bland in a few spots but watch the 100%

    Then watch Part 2 100 % especially. This will give you a base of info to start researching as I had and did before I bought. I read many stories and information before buying. The money isn't an issue with me it's the reliability to reach help in any situation any where on earth. $600 or 66I etc. plus contracts is no problem as far as me and the wife's lives are concern. So again money didn't play into it.

    ResQLink Plus https://www.acrartex.com/products/resqlink-plus-plb
    ResQLink uses 406 mhz and gps combined. Then uses the old 121.5 mhz as search and rescue still uses it on low flying craft and or handheld units. ResQLink with 121.5 is good because it will pin point you to a deep ravine or spot that can't be seen with naked eye by rescuers if they have the tools. Even thou it's not the main frequency any more used by satellites. 406 is.
    ResQLink + is waterproof.

    For $389 with a guaranteed help line in any situation even from airplane hangers or heavy laden snow cover, notch canyons,etc. Plus it's small. Many would be alive today or never of had a near death experience if they had one. Keep in on your person not in a glove box or some where hard to get at.
    Thankyou for the info. Still interested in what the Garmin uses. I am a fully licensed Ham Radio Operator and understand the pros and cons of different frequency ranges. 404 MHz is into UHF vs. 121.5 MHz which is VHF. CQ CQ Doug Paul.
    "I'm getting up and going to work everyday and I am stoked. That does not suck!"__Shane McConkey

  6. #6
    Senior Member CaptCaper's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2003
    Location
    AHH....SKYLINE
    Posts
    494
    Quote Originally Posted by skiguy View Post
    J Thankyou for the info. Still interested in what the Garmin uses. I am a fully licensed Ham Radio Operator and understand the pros and cons of different frequency ranges. 404 MHz is into UHF vs. 121.5 MHz which is VHF. CQ CQ Doug Paul.
    You watched those 2 utube videos? They explain at the 2:30 of part two how the 66I etc uses a sub par frequency prone to issues with reaching satellites and low power broadcasting. Plus what I've researched besides that. Don't understand why some one would want a less chance to be found any where on earth.
    Last edited by CaptCaper; 06-28-2019 at 07:14 AM.

  7. #7
    Senior Member skiguy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location
    Center Conway, NH
    Posts
    2,381
    Quote Originally Posted by CaptCaper View Post
    You watched those 2 utube videos? They explain at the 2:30 of part two how the 66I etc uses a sub par frequency prone to issues with reaching satellites and low power broadcasting. Plus what I've researched besides that. Don't understand why some one would want a less chance to be found any where on earth.
    No I had not watched the Videos but now I have. This is good info. Big, big, big difference in frequencies and power between these devices. To be honest I am surprised that the Garmin devices and the similar ones work at all. Without getting in to it to deeply it's about the terrain your in and the effectiveness of the device. The ResQlink has a huge advantage. Thanks again for the info!
    "I'm getting up and going to work everyday and I am stoked. That does not suck!"__Shane McConkey

  8. #8
    Senior Member CaptCaper's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2003
    Location
    AHH....SKYLINE
    Posts
    494
    That's the take I got from alot of Google research on these devices. I really wanted to be able to text but who cares really. Another distraction in the woods. When you register the PLB ( ResQLink) with the Goverment after purchase you give name etc. next of contacts to notify etc. Then you have a comment section. This is all passed along as you saw. I put " Being an expert navigator on Sea and Land chances are I'm we are not lost but injured or someone else might be. Also I am 6'2" weight 240lbs and have total knee replacements as well as a shoulder replacement. Good health other then that. " This gives a heads up what to expect out there in my case.

    Texting would be nice to say " well I might be lost or might need help" or "tell my wife I'm late" etc. Ha. I do love the small size of the ResQLink. Wear on belt or chest strap.

  9. #9
    Senior Member DayTrip's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Location
    Woodstock, CT
    Posts
    2,470
    Cool videos. However they are from MAR 2009. Are they still relevant with the updates in technology? For example, the video mentions that a cell phone doesn't know where it is. I think just about every cell phone now has embedded GPS chip and extensive GPS and other functions. Cellular networks have also advanced dramatically (4G from 3G), etc and are present in more and more remote areas. Most newer messaging devices also use rechargeable lithium ion batteries too, not AA as mentioned. I am assuming the frequencies of these devices and the way they operate has also been updated over the past 10 years? Be curious to see videos like this that reflect current technology.
    NH 48 4k: 48/48; NH W48k: 46/48; NY 46: 6/46

  10. #10
    Senior Member CaptCaper's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2003
    Location
    AHH....SKYLINE
    Posts
    494
    I saw that too but you can't text with 406 mhz. And Garmins 66I is 2.4 ghz. ACR should update the video but you can ask them directly via contact about these frequencys.
    I know what I have and 2.4 isn't on the map for rescue beacons. Read this. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Emerge...beacon_station

    I believe it still doesn't have the guarantee of getting out a signal in all situations any where on earth. And relying on a commercial company to pick up and relay my SOS doesn't sound enticing.

    You can put lipstick on a Pig but it's still a Pig. I know what I have in the pack.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Capture.JPG 
Views:	11 
Size:	105.0 KB 
ID:	6220  

  11. #11
    Senior Member DayTrip's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Location
    Woodstock, CT
    Posts
    2,470
    Quote Originally Posted by CaptCaper View Post
    I saw that too but you can't text with 406 mhz. And Garmins 66I is 2.4 ghz. ACR should update the video but you can ask them directly via contact about these frequencys.
    I know what I have and 2.4 isn't on the map for rescue beacons. Read this. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Emerge...beacon_station

    I believe it still doesn't have the guarantee of getting out a signal in all situations any where on earth. And relying on a commercial company to pick up and relay my SOS doesn't sound enticing.

    You can put lipstick on a Pig but it's still a Pig. I know what I have in the pack.
    I started with a ResqueLink as my first piece of electronics after my research (2013 season I believe). Eventually got a GPS, then a SPOT, then ditched the SPOT for an InReach. The SPOT was most definitely not reliable for messaging and gave me no confidence whatsoever to use as a rescue device. I find the InReach very reliable but I have never used the emergency feature. It would definitely be nice from a weight and convenience point of view to have a single device that could accomplish all of these things but it doesn't sound like we're there yet. Gaining ground though. All these devices, plus batteries and a means to recharge the batteries for long trips adds quite a bit of weight.

    I'm curious about the new devices starting to pop up that are essentially global wifi hot spots that work anywhere in the world and basically provide a connection to use your smart phone and all the features on it, just like you would anywhere else. That would be quite convenient. No idea what a subscription price would be though. Probably several years away from being an option for the masses.
    NH 48 4k: 48/48; NH W48k: 46/48; NY 46: 6/46

  12. #12
    Senior Member CaptCaper's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2003
    Location
    AHH....SKYLINE
    Posts
    494
    I guess if one really needed to text while out in the wilderness etc and wanted security of SOS having both 66I and ResQLink would be in order. My son just went out solo to Colorado for a extreme bike trip of 130 miles down to Moab. I gave him my ResQLink for the trip. After reading about the Triathlete champ that almost died out there on a jog. No ResQlink etc. in her fanny pack. Really stupid not to have one these days

    . https://www.deseretnews.com/article/...near-Moab.html

  13. #13
    Senior Member DayTrip's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Location
    Woodstock, CT
    Posts
    2,470
    Quote Originally Posted by CaptCaper View Post
    I guess if one really needed to text while out in the wilderness etc
    Keep in mind texting isn't just idle nonsense with friends. You could text critical details about an incident, medical status, location, what you might need, etc. It can have a very real and valuable use too. On my InReach I usually "text" my wife details like whether I'm ahead or behind schedule, when I've stopped for the night, etc. It is tedious on that device though. Doing it directly from a cell phone would be a hell of a lot easier. (DeLorme has an app for this but I've found it very glitchy with the messages so I don't use it)
    NH 48 4k: 48/48; NH W48k: 46/48; NY 46: 6/46

  14. #14
    Senior Member CaptCaper's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2003
    Location
    AHH....SKYLINE
    Posts
    494
    Quote Originally Posted by DayTrip View Post
    Keep in mind texting isn't just idle nonsense with friends. You could text critical details about an incident, medical status, location, what you might need, etc. It can have a very real and valuable use too. On my InReach I usually "text" my wife details like whether I'm ahead or behind schedule, when I've stopped for the night, etc. It is tedious on that device though. Doing it directly from a cell phone would be a hell of a lot easier. (DeLorme has an app for this but I've found it very glitchy with the messages so I don't use it)
    Don't you have ways to test to see if you connect with the satellites for SOS ? ResQLink does. It'll tell you if you connected.

    The ACR has program or apt called 406 Link Compatability. I think it has something to do with connecting with phone or whatever. I have no desire to find out what it is as I hike with the wife and again have no need to text. I did put on the comments for rescue personal to read " I'm probably not lost being an expert Navigator but injured. 70yrs old in good health as of 2019." This gives them a heads up.
    I really can't see the need for both 66I and ResQlink for my use. I just want something that will work out of a slot Canyon in Utah,or camped deep into the Valley of the Gods etc. this Sept or Snowmachineing in NH this winter. We go during the week and never see anyone at times all day out there.

    I don't get far out from civilization now days. Wish I could but I know my limits.
    Last edited by CaptCaper; 07-01-2019 at 04:19 AM.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •