Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Foliage 2019

Foliage 2019

Haven't seen any official threads on foliage yet but someone in another thread mentioned color was coming along ahead of schedule in Northern Presidentials and Adirondack Loj Facebook page showed some pretty significant color already so I'm curious if anyone has spotted significant color yet in their travels. Looks like the foliage may start earlier this year. Checked a few of the foliage websites and got conflicting info. Always find word of mouth to be a better source than those sites (but if someone follows a site they find to be particularly accurate please post link). Was very little going on in Baxter last week. Like many of you I'll be chasing colors the next few weeks and planning my hikes accordingly.
    NH 48 4k: 48/48; NH W48k: 46/48; NY 46: 6/46

I was out all last week in the Dry River and Wild River and there wasn't much color to speak of. A few trees here and there but still mostly green.

I think a couple more weeks. I'm headed up to Acadia for 5 days in the middle of October. I'm expecting foliage will be just past peak at that point, but tourist season is well past peak. The Park is pretty empty that weekend.

Still mostly green in Gorham with a few early trees. There is hard frost predicted tonight so that usually gets the color moving

OK. Thanks. One of the sites I was on indicated things were way farther along than what I had seen and when I saw that person's comments about the Northern Presi's coming along I was a bit surprised. Haven't been to NH in a few weeks.

Quote Originally Posted by egilbe View Post
    I think a couple more weeks. I'm headed up to Acadia for 5 days in the middle of October. I'm expecting foliage will be just past peak at that point, but tourist season is well past peak. The Park is pretty empty that weekend.
    Yes, unlike the foliage, I am always happy when the tourist season has ended.

Quote Originally Posted by egilbe View Post
    10/22/17 Plenty of color left, and no crowds.

Joe

Dartmouth, Nova Scotia - Avatar: Near Lake Louise
    Katahdin this weekend. I'll report back re. colors.

Other then the reports issued by various sources. You can get an idea on the foliage according to the frost. Without a killing frost or multiple for that matter, the leaves will be slow turning. Once you see below freezing nighttime temps, its off to the races.

There was a big shift in leaf color over the weekend. I expect this upcoming weekend will be pretty colorful in the north country. Lots of no vacancy signs out at local hotels and campground last weekend.

I was out in the Eastern side of the Caribou Speckled Mountain Wilderness this weekend and I'd say it was maybe 10%-15%. Driving up the Maine Turnpike and Rte 26 it seemed like more, especially around water. Long range forecast is for another great weekend coming up so hopefully the color kicks into high gear during the week.

Dartmouth, Nova Scotia - Avatar: Near Lake Louise
    Quote Originally Posted by Mac View Post
    Katahdin this weekend. I'll report back re. colors.
    Looked to be about a week before full colors. Chimney Pond area was closer to full.

I was on Rt. 110 in Stark yesterday and the colors were amazing. I would have stopped to take a pic or two but I'd just passed a wood-chip filled semi that was crawling. Could risk being stuck behind him again.
    Joe

The upper Androscoggin River valley and Milan will definitely be at peak this weekend.

West Milan is pretty close to peak this morning. Looking out at the Kilkenny ridge. Pictures never do it justice. Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Friday Office Window.jpg 
Views:	69 
Size:	107.7 KB 
ID:	6282