Thread: Need a rigid sole boot for.....

Need a rigid sole boot for.....

walking my dog!

Well, mostly for long dog walks, but also for winter hikes on the Sunapee greenway, Cardigan, some spring hikes in Franconia area, probably some slackcountry snowboarding too. My damaged feet need the protection these days. I have, in the past used Koflach Degres but they weigh 3lbs a piece. When the snow goes i will switch back to stiffish approach shoes.

And yes, fit wins every time.

So what is the least worst boot that has a rigid sole to hike in? Looking for rigid or very close.

the Sportiva Makalu seems like a contender.

Thanks

How rigid? How warm? I'm pretty happy with the Garmont Momentum as a not-deep-cold (200g/m^2 insulation) winter boot and it has a good stiff sole; I've put flexible crampons on it but I wouldn't want to do vertical ice. It's a fair bit stiffer than the Saolomon Toundras (my deep-cold boot).

Makalu is non-insulated, yes?

My old Fabiano Rias are going to Limmer for a resole/rebuild, largely for reasons similar to you.

I've been using some old OR X-gaiters for warmth in winter conditions. If I get some extra coin, I'll ditch them for some Berghaus insulated rubber rand gaiters.

Long winded way of saying.... Limmer?

Not the answer if you want warmth though.

EDITED TO ADD: There's stiff and then there's stiff. I have a pair of Montrail branded 3/4 shank Norwegian welted boots that are ridiculously stiff but I think the full shank Makalus are even stiffer and have very little rocker. 1/2 shank Norwegian welt is usually enough for me.
    Last edited by dave.m; 01-24-2020 at 12:10 PM.
    - Dave (a.k.a. pinnah)

" Power corrupts. Absolute power is kind of neat." - John Lehman, US Secretary of the Navy 1981-1987

Quote Originally Posted by Spiny Norman View Post
    walking my dog!

Well, mostly for long dog walks, but also for winter hikes on the Sunapee greenway, Cardigan, some spring hikes in Franconia area, probably some slackcountry snowboarding too. My damaged feet need the protection these days. I have, in the past used Koflach Degres but they weigh 3lbs a piece. When the snow goes i will switch back to stiffish approach shoes.

So what is the least worst boot that has a rigid sole to hike in? Looking for rigid or very close.

Thanks
    If you are not familiar with this scale it may help you with your search criteria. https://www.absolute-snow.co.uk/buyi...es-b0-b1-b2-b3
    "I'm getting up and going to work everyday and I am stoked. That does not suck!"__Shane McConkey

Quote Originally Posted by Spiny Norman View Post
    walking my dog!

Thanks
    I wore the Makalu for many years out west. It is a good stiff boot and has a rigid sole. It is of fine construction and will last for years. It is not insulated and I would use it all summer and to cover the shoulder seasons, but come winter, I transitioned to a winter boot.

Thanks all.

Sadly, I need a rigid sole like my Koflachs. My Limmer Standards were stiff but they did flex, some.

Cold feet have never been an issue for me. A lot has to do with naturally good circulation but also because i don't go out for any length of time if its below -5.

If i could i would stick to hiking boots but my feet are so happy when I use my pmbs that i have accepted that i have to move to rigid clunkers.

Trying to find the least clunkiest. So I am looking at the category of boot for "General Mountaineering/Glacier Travel". https://www.lowaboots.com/mens/mount...gtx-lime-black

Perhaps B2 in the British Grade system https://thebmc.co.uk/feet-first.

Step-in crampon compatible but not primarily for vertical ice.

Thanks again.

Actually, never for vertical ice.

Cheers

Waltham, MA Jazzbo & Marty meet Bigfoot on Kennebago Divide
    I purchased a winter boot by Mammut Magic High GORE-TEX which appears to be similar to the Makalu and Lowa mentioned above. I've been very happy with it. Mammut rates it in tech specs for -20C.

https://www.mammut.com/us/en/p/3010-...-high-gtx-men/
    On #67 of NE67
    On #99 of NEHH
    On #46 of WNH48

An atom walked up to me and said "i think I've lost an electron"
    I said "are you sure?"
    It reply "I'm positive."

Thanks All and Sundry! Looks like winter is on the wane here in scenic central NH. May wait (and whine) for another year.

Cheers