Has the Tsunami Finally Crested?

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Every time I have come back to my vehicle after a trip this year at LW (6ish times?) there has been either a Lincoln PD vehicle, F&G vehicle, or FSLE vehicle doing rounds. I always considered LW to be one of the safer lots, which is one of the reasons we've been doing so many trips out of there this year.

Given the state of the economy and the prevailing national mood, I would expect break-ins to be more likely now than in a "normal" season.

And having non-NH license plates might also be a contributing factor, sad to say.

Last edited:
I'm sure the NH tourism industry would have a different view.

Aren't you guilty of the very same thing you are talking about? Maybe lifelong residents have that
sentiment about you,hopefully not.:rolleyes:You have decided to make your home in the White Mountains ,
a history that goes back well before our time..........Some "out of towners" want to experience the natural
beauty of the area,if only for a little while...that's not a bad thing,is it?

Well not exactly, we have been property owners in Coos County since 1984, and had always planned on pairing down to one home after retirement.

Post Edit: I am not trying to get into a spitting contest of who was here the longest or lifelong residents vs permanent residents I was simply trying to respond to the original post. Honestly, even as a part time resident prior to COVID I have NEVER seen anything like the deluge of people that were encountered this year. (And by the looks of FS trucks picking up massive amounts of garbage I believe they might agree.) I will a good “little girl” the and just keep my opinions to myself next time....back to lurking only.

Last edited:
Is this the "just because the cat has her kittens in the oven doesn't make them biscuits". argument? :)

Okay, for anybody else who thought WTF when they saw this quote, here is an explanation from the internet::confused:

"Just because a cat has her kittens in the oven don't make them biscuits."

This odd little analogy heard throughout Vermont and Maine emphasizes the value they place on native status. If you were born in New England, but your parents are originally from out-of-state, you can fuhggedabout claiming to be a true New Englander. Harsh.

Last edited:
Any news from trailheads today? Bright but cold Saturday with some snow on the ground even in Southern New England.

You Can't Help Where You Was Born

Any news from trailheads today? Bright but cold Saturday with some snow on the ground even in Southern New England.

I drove down to SW NH yesterday via 91, although not driving past popular trailheads- there was a noticeable reduction in traffic in the area.

In the early 90's I lived in Nelson NH which is a rural hill town with a broad spectrum of residents. My friend (in town) was neighbors with a family that some folks probably would not want to live next to, multi generational natives with pigs and junk cars about, what some might call 'Swamp Yankees'.....

My friend was close to this family and the old patriarch one time after witnessing his youngers teasing my friend as being "from-away" said a quote I often repeat when witnessing same (said in heavy Yankee accent), "Well.........you can't help where you was born...."

In the 80's and 90's my friends and I would make sure we had an NRA sticker on our vehicles as a talisman to ward off break-in's, this was after removing the hippy bumper stickers that seemed to attract objects into the tail-pipes.

In the 80's and 90's my friends and I would make sure we had an NRA sticker on our vehicles as a talisman to ward off break-in's, this was after removing the hippy bumper stickers that seemed to attract objects into the tail-pipes.

I leave a mil-spec camo backpack visible and left the volunteer firefighter stickers from the previous owner on the truck.

Unfortunate that this thread is eroding so quickly into a North vs South narrative. As old as that mentality is let's remember that us camo wearing gun carriers do leave the Mountains and spend money in places other than the local General Store now and again. Back on topic it is officially "Shoulder Season" in the Whites. Although visitor numbers are down do remember some international orange the next time you go for a hike.

Unfortunate that this thread is eroding so quickly into a North vs South narrative. As old as that mentality is let's remember that us camo wearing gun carriers do leave the Mountains and spend money in places other than the local General Store now and again. Back on topic it is officially "Shoulder Season" in the Whites. Although visitor numbers are down do remember some international orange the next time you go for a hike.

Orange is probably more important to VFTT'ers who are at at more obscure trailheads or bushwhackng. I don't think I've ever seen wildlife on the popular trails other than the fox that used to be around Crawford Notch and Base Station. Have seen my share of wildlife elsewhere. I am not thinking hunting will have a big increase in numbers with people looking at being outdoors. Any one have numbers or observations on fishing this year. The few places I hiked where their was fishing locations, there were people there & in past years, many times there were less people but that's just a few times at local spots.

We'll have to revisit this in late December, especially if winter is light in Southern New England & the masses feel like getting out again. Then again, if Covid numbers don't get better, we'll all be stuck in our states of domicile again.