Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: So what are you plans 3 years from today April 8th 2024

So what are you plans 3 years from today April 8th 2024

https://www.greatamericaneclipse.com/april-8-2024

Looks like the edge of totality might just skim the northern edge of the WMNF but the centerline is farther north in Errol and Pittsburg or parts of Northwestern Maine and over towards Moosehead lake. BSP is in the path but its typically closed this time of year. Les Otten had best get going on his resort as accommodations up in that area are pretty slim. Pittsburg bans all overnight camping except at private campgrounds.
    Last edited by peakbagger; 04-09-2021 at 12:38 PM.

My plan for this one was originally Roger's Ledge but now I'm thinking I'll need to find another option if I don't want a lot of company.

Looks a good time to go the the Northeast Kingdom in Vermont.
    NH 4K: 48/48, VT 4K: 5/5, NY 4K: 2/46

Weather in that part of April can be iffy and private roads can be closed due to mud season. In general the road network can get plugged up with traffic and my guess many folks will be heading north on I 91 so gettingto where you want to go will be the challenge.

My sister lives in Jackson Hole and has first hand experience of what happens when the eclipse comes to town. I don't plan on being anywhere near that path.

My home in northern NY is barely within the zone of totality. 60 miles away, my brother has a camp on the shore of Lake Ontario, very close to the cener line. I may go there, or to my daughter's home in Plattsburgh, also near the center line.

Given favorable weather, I think it would be easy to avoid any annoying crowds in my region. Either way, even under clouds, a total solar eclipse is a life experience not to be missed. You will never forget the experience. My first total eclipse expedition was in 1970, when I drove with college buddies to the north end of the Chesapeake Bay Bridge. I was on an overlook where I could see the edge of the shadow russhing toward me over the water at 1000 mph. A truly ominous feeling. The next year I traveled north to Cap Chat Quebec for a mostly clouded out event, though still an impressive experence. In 2017 I visited a retrired military buddy whose home was on the center line in Missouri under perfectly clear skies. I don't have a lot of hope for clear skies in April 2024, but may travel if necessary to a forecast clear area if it is bad near my home area. Don't miss it!
    Last edited by Nessmuk; 04-09-2021 at 06:56 AM.
    "She's all my fancy painted her, she's lovely, she is light. She waltzes on the waves by day and rests with me at night." - Nessmuk, Forest and Stream, July 21, 1880 [of the Wood Drake Canoe built for him by Rushton]

It's a Monday a week after Easter which falls on 3/31/2024. VRBO or Air BNB might the how to take three of four days to enjoy

Also looks like part of the ADK falls under the path also, as well as Rochester and Buffalo and Niagara Falls. Since you can't look directly at an Eclipse, is above treeline where I want to be or looking at Niagara Falls under that kind of lighting?
    Have fun & be safe
    Mike P.

You went up to Saratoga
    and your horse naturally won
    Then you...

Quote Originally Posted by OldEric View Post
    You went up to Saratoga
    Then you...
    Wow you really are Old...Eric! I'm thinking Jamestown, NY.
    "I'm getting up and going to work everyday and I am stoked. That does not suck!"__Shane McConkey

You can look at an eclipse through the proper shade filter. The last time around all sorts of folks were selling filters that were not certified and could cause eye damage. And of course the former president declared that squinting real hard was good enough.

I just hope I'm still breathing

No plans yet, but I'd worry about where to fill the gas tank for the ride home.

OK, the plan for now is to spend the day skiing at Mt. Ellen (Sugarbush North). https://www.sugarbush.com/terrain/mt-ellen/
    Last edited by jfb; 04-09-2021 at 02:53 PM.

you can absolutely look directly at an eclipse with the naked eye as long as it is in total phase. I have even viewed directly through a telescope with no attenuation during totality. It is perfectly safe as long as you know when to look away before the diamond ring appears with the first direct harmful rays of the sun. There is computer program you can download wherein when you insert your coordinates, it will give you an audible countdown warning of when to look away.

The big myth comes about because of all the warnings to not view an eclipse duiring any partial phase by the news media. when the sun is partially or mostly covered by the moon before or after totality, it may not hurt at the moment as much as it normally does to otherwise look directly at the fully uncovered sun, but damage will be done to your vision in either case anyway. It is because most of the population does not reside in the zone of totality that such warnings must be given to not look at a partial solar eclipse. A fully covered sun during a total eclipse does not pose the danger, but the first moments of exposure after totatality does, just as directly looking at the briight sun does on any other day.
    Last edited by Nessmuk; 04-10-2021 at 06:12 AM.
    "She's all my fancy painted her, she's lovely, she is light. She waltzes on the waves by day and rests with me at night." - Nessmuk, Forest and Stream, July 21, 1880 [of the Wood Drake Canoe built for him by Rushton]

Quote Originally Posted by OldEric View Post
    You went up to Saratoga
    Then you...

That was the Eclipse in Nova Scotia, the one where I was clouded out in Cap Chat, Quebec.

It looks like we will get a good look at this in Keene, NY, if the weather cooperates for the event.

Looking directly into the sun says something else about "most of the population" but it would be unpopular to present that fact here...