Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: No More Parking at Lowes Store

No More Parking at Lowes Store

Quoted from the Randolph Mountain Club's Facebook Page today:

Important Trailhead Update:
    Please be advised that parking is no longer available at Lowe’s Store for Lowe’s Path. Do not park off the shoulder of RT 2, as this creates a dangerous situation on the road. In addition, pursuant to NH RSA 265, unattended vehicles may be ticked or towed.
    Lowe’s path can be accessed via The Link. Please access the trail from the Appalachia Parking area, or plan to use other trails. Alternatively, you can arrange to be dropped off at the Lowe’s Path trailhead.
    We understand this is a big change, and we will provide any updates as available.
    Thank you,
    Randolph Mountain Club
    "I'm getting up and going to work everyday and I am stoked. That does not suck!"__Shane McConkey

I drove by last weekend and the property is pretty clearly marked "No Parking". Didn't really look like it had been plowed recently either, so likely hasn't been avaialable for some time. I imagine this could be the beginning of the end for Lowes Path.

Tim
    Bike, Hike, Ski, Sleep. Eat, Fish, Repeat.

Quote Originally Posted by bikehikeskifish View Post
    I drove by last weekend and the property is pretty clearly marked "No Parking". Didn't really look like it had been plowed recently either, so likely hasn't been avaialable for some time.

Tim
    I saw that also. My guess with the melt out beginning to happen they probably just want to make it real clear for the Summer season going forward. Certainly will put more pressure on Appalachia which is already feeling the load.
    Last edited by skiguy; 03-19-2021 at 12:07 PM.
    "I'm getting up and going to work everyday and I am stoked. That does not suck!"__Shane McConkey

I hope that the FS builds a lot nearby or you'll need to arrive at Appalachia well before first light to get a spot. For as crowded as it was in 2020 that was without Mad hut being open.
    Have fun & be safe
    Mike P.

This was quickly commented on via FaceBook. A representative from the Lowe Family said there will be parking this Summer. The closure this Winter was due to the fact that the Lot was very full with long term parking by Tractor Trailers and the plowing situation had become difficult to maintain parking for others. So it's only a temporary band. My apologigies for any confusion resulting from the title of this thread. Until then I guess we are all going to have to rely on updates from peakbagger.

Quote Originally Posted by Mike P. View Post
    I hope that the FS builds a lot nearby or you'll need to arrive at Appalachia well before first light to get a spot. For as crowded as it was in 2020 that was without Mad hut being open.
    Bowman is less than a mile away via the rail trail. It's also shorter to the Link/Lowe's junction from Bowman than taking the Link from Appalachia. I wonder why they don't suggest that as an alternative.

Once winter conditions are over I suspect the better option from parking on RT2 would be along Durand Road which is a very short walk to Lowes Path. No parking on the road during winter. About 15 years ago the RMC was talking with the owners of the former Bowman's Base Camp to buy the property. The RMC would keep the building for trail crew quarters while the FS would buy the rest to secure the trail and possibly put in parking. The building was determined to be unsuitable and RMC built the Sterns lodge facility instead on Cold Brook. Reportedly the owner wanted significant dollars for the parcel and building. I think the building is no longer accessible from the road as a culvert washed out or was removed a few years ago. The No Parking signs at Lowes have been up for most of the winter. With the huts closed there was far less demand for hiker parking but it also served for snowmachine parking.

IMO the best long term option if the Lowes complex is not available is relocate the trail through the new Rendolph Community Forest parcel to the east and connect up with the new trail to Rollo Falls that starts at the Bowman Parking lot which is state land.

Yes due to the closure of Lowe's Store and other matters, plowing of the parking area was difficult this winter, so the signs had to be put up. Speaking with a family member, 3 season will be allowed...forgot to ask about the parking donation fee..maybe like 7 Dwarf's on Little River Road, a generous donation left on the windshield might help out...

Is Lowe's Store itself closing as a business concern?
    - Dave (a.k.a. pinnah)

" Power corrupts. Absolute power is kind of neat." - John Lehman, US Secretary of the Navy 1981-1987

Last September there was a note on the door. Can't remember exactly what it said but it was something along the lines of, "The store is closed, just slip the money under the door."
    Joe

Quote Originally Posted by dave.m View Post
    Is Lowe's Store itself closing as a business concern?
    It appears so. All the standard references online mark it as closed for good.
    You have brains in your head. You have feet in your shoes. You can steer yourself, any direction you choose. -- Dr. Seuss

Wow. The Lowe family has had a foot print there for a very long time. This is a passing similar to the Old Man falling down in some respects.

But, as Bruce Cockburn notes, "everything that exists in time, runs out of time some day."
    - Dave (a.k.a. pinnah)

" Power corrupts. Absolute power is kind of neat." - John Lehman, US Secretary of the Navy 1981-1987

Dartmouth, Nova Scotia - Avatar: Lion Head trail
    My first ever Northern Presi hike involved parking at Lowes. I remember the matriarch of the clan was collecting the fee. End of an era.

I didn't hike out of that area often but it always felt like I was visiting a piece of White Mountain history when I stopped in or parked to hike.
    Have fun & be safe
    Mike P.

I parked there in 2013 when I soloed Mt Adams and hit Abigail Adams and Adams 5 on a neat loop. I love Adams. I parked way off to the side as, IIRC, a sign directed you to, and left a note on the dash because the store wasn't open yet. Paid my ($2?) fee when I got back down in the late afternoon. "Yup, I saw your note," the guy behind the counter said. He looked like he stepped off the set from To Kill a Mockingbird. I bought some snacks and drinks to be neighborly but I don't think I got a smile out of him. Yeah, that place was a White Mountain institution. Sad to see it go.
    "I am a pilgrim and a stranger"