AMC's Mountain Leadership School?

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
No I have not taken any course with the AMC nor will I . You are better off taking a course with NOLs, Exum Guiding,, Jackson Mountain Guides, Aspen Expeditions .American Alpine Institute, American Alpine Club guide or educational, services even IME over any thing the AMC offers .Because the AMC courses are geared for high paying members, who to learn how to do hut to hut trips not real wilderness travel. If you want to learn how to be a real guide or trip leader avoid the AMC at all costs and spend the 700 – 1,500 + at a real guide service the AMC is mostly interested in hut to trip leaders so as to increase profit and sales not to mention guests at the Crawford Complex where only paying “guests are welcome “ at the $100 + a night rooms minus meals of course ya gotta pay for that 5 star chef too ya know .
The AMC is also not recognized out side of the AMC if you want to lead trips as for a profit guide . So you have to pay over again at a real school any ways. Also I know a few guides some who have worked on Everest . It takes years of climbing , SAR ,(I Volunteer at Aspen Mt Rescue when I am in Aspen ) working as apprentice guide,sometimes for no pay in the lower 48 and maybe on Denali to be a guide. I climbed the Cassin Ridge on Denali solo and will never ever do it again . If you want to be a guide or a leader do it right and earn it that means climbing tough 13 and 14 k peaks in the lower 48 such as Ranier , the Grand, the Maroon Bells ect before you even think of leading or guiding . Get a wilderness EMT certificate and more. As I said theAMC course is geard for hut to hut vacations, high paying whinning clients , not real learedship or guiding If you want that it is a tough low paying road . Choose wisely and ask lots of questions and ask your self it it what you want to do .

Last edited:
Thanks, I guess?

:confused: I wasn't looking to provide an opportunity to bash the AMC so much as looking for information specifically on this school. Does anyone else out there have any first hand experience with it? If so, maybe just PM me. Gracias!

Although I have never taken that particular course, I have taken AMC chapter sponsored courses like SOLO wilderness first aid and thought they were great. If you do take the course, please post your comments. I am sure there are a several people who visit this site who would like to hear about it. Like you said in another post, its all about getting outside and that's good.

I've taken a few courses through the Boston Chapter (Hiker Backpacker Committee) and found them to be well organized and presented and would recommend them. I expect the quality of such courses may vary with the Chapter presenting it but if they've had a track record of presenting the courses, then the system seems to constantly improve the content. I don't believe they're intended to compete with these extended full exposure programs described by RGF1.

AMC also arranges wilderness first aid courses. The HB Committee has been doing them through SOLO.

Whether or not you intend to lead others, you can benefit from these courses. Any course should complement experience, not substitute for it.

Stan said:
I don't believe they're intended to compete with these extended full exposure programs described by RGF1. Whether or not you intend to lead others, you can benefit from these courses. Any course should complement experience, not substitute for it.

I voluntarily lead family hikes for the NH Chapter and the Chapter has been kind enough to send me to SOLO's Wilderness First Aid (twice now as it's a 2 year certificate) and they also gave me a scholarship for their leadership school and now I've got a scholarship to the MLS. The AMC doesn't make a dime off of me (I don't lead hikes to the Highland Ctr, for example, but to *free* destinations) and they don't pay me (unless you count them paying to educate me to be a better leader). To be honest, I'm doing this to create a fun and safe environment for my kids first and foremost but also to benefit other kids in the family group. I don't have any plans to become a "for pay" guide. I've got lots of hiking experience but feel that there's a LOT more to learn and am looking forward to the MLS school. Thanks all for the public and private comments and information! :D

I now have first hand knowledge...

I went last week, Wednesday thru Sunday (yeah, it rained!). For my purposes, this course was fantastic and was an incredible experience, one I'll never forget.

UPDATE: I've posted a trip report in the Trip Reports Forum, enjoy!

Last edited:
Mark.....
Thanks for your follow-up......and for volunteering as a leader....

Nice new avatar!