Catskill DEC Announcement: Neversink damage

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

erd

Reaction score
This in from Captain Dan Walsh, DEC Region 3 Head Ranger--thanks, Dan! This has been posted slightly belatedly (and is cross-posted with the 3500 Club BBS), as I wanted to obtain the OK to disseminate it fully. If anyone has done the route post-flood and would like to comment to the list, this would be of interest. The access from the Neversink to Lone Rocky, Friday, Slide &c is affected.

Dan's message reads:

I took my hike with DEC Forester Jeff Rider and my Lt. Steve Scherry into the former Denning Lean-To area Tuesday, April 12 to inspect trail conditions and see the shape of the temporary crossing placed across the East Branch of the Neversink and "Shanty Brook" along the old "Fisherman's Path".

The trails were in good shape, but the many confluences of the streams had been changed. The area experienced a 50 year flood two weeks ago, and subsequently had made significant changes unseen for the last 50 years. A good length of the "Fisherman's Path" is now gone, either displaced by streambed, or plugged with large downed trees and woodland debris. Nearly all the rocks have been scoured and moved.

The bad news is the temporary hewed maple log that had been placed across the stream is on its side though still across and in the same rough location. It is not safe to use for a crossing. The good news is that just upstream about one hundred feet or so is a newly fallen large hardwood that easily spans the stream, safe to cross, and will likely remain in place for a few years. In addition to that one if you were to go upstream another half mile along the Fisherman's path, is another large Yellow Birch that nicely spans the stream that is an easy, safe crossing that will likely also remain in place for a few years.

While hiking we looked for other suitable crossings where a permanent constructed crossing could be located. Several locations appeared good, and of course the trail would have to be relocated.

What was stressed by these tried and true woodsman is the fact that this stream more than any other in the Catskills raises significantly with moderate rainfall, but also falls just as quickly. During an unexpected flooding episode, if one could wait even a half day after heavy rains the stream would resume to near normal conditions and prevent a risky crossing.

That's floods. Today we are entering into a two week stretch of no rainfall and are now experiencing fires across the region. We'll be rather busy with these for a while. I'm sure your members realize the dangerous potential of kindling fires during these days with low humidity, high winds before "green-up" occurs.

Posted on behalf of Captain Walsh by...